rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

Stuart
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 890

Have just taken a look at the social security youtube video which includes that various digital appeals functions are being extended to universal credit appeals ‘by the end of November’ to mirror developments already applying to PIP and ESA - these include - in addition to initial submission of appeals functions -

- for the DWP to challenge the validity of appeal and request time extension, to upload their response to the appeal and any supplemental submissions;
- for judges to be able to write directions, strke out or reinistate appeals and stitch and amend hearing bundles online
- the scanning of existing paper appeals into the system so they can be dealt with online and digitally

(slides on this start at around 14 minutes into the presentation)

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I attended much of this and, as ever, it was mixed bag. The disconnection from reality on occasions was bewildering.

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

Mike Hughes - 12 November 2020 12:36 PM

I attended much of this and, as ever, it was mixed bag. The disconnection from reality on occasions was bewildering.

Hope you’re not referring to the uplifting tale of Tom, Yasmin and Sara, whose every reasonable adjustment has been anticipated in advance by HMCTS…

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

ROBBO - 12 November 2020 02:08 PM
Mike Hughes - 12 November 2020 12:36 PM

Hope you’re not referring to the uplifting tale of Tom, Yasmin and Sara, whose every reasonable adjustment has been anticipated in advance by HMCTS…

Ahem, yes, one of many “highlights”.

This from the organisation which insists on clerks writing to me to tell me that they have done their Equality Act training and therefore I can’t have reasonable adjustments for my client or I because they are obliged to treat everyone the same!

Better still the judge who put in black and white that my request for reasonable adjustments for me was clearly a mistake! I am 100% confident you can guess who that was Rob if I told you they wrote at length :)

Then there was the sorry argument outside a room at Manchester CJC in which my hearing impaired client laid into the PO so loudly about their clueless querying of why an interpreter was needed that the judge came out to see what was happening. The judge’s attempts to join the conversation were entertaining i.e. my client isn’t going to even know you’re addressing her if you’re not even facing her. Culminated in “... and I can’‘t @@@@@@@ hear you either” and the appropriate PIP award about 30 seconds after we sat down in the court room.

HMCTS are brilliant on equalities. 

Just picture me face down on a carpet banging my fists into it and laughing at this point.

Just been accepted onto one of their “empathy labs” demonstrations in February 2021. That gives them 4 months to develop some :)

I am “against empathy” as it were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Against_Empathy#:~:text=Against%20Empathy%3A%20The%20Case%20for%20Rational%20Compassion%20is,and%20is%20a%20poor%20guide%20for%20decision%20making.

[ Edited: 12 Nov 2020 at 02:46 pm by Mike Hughes ]