Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Vulnerable Learner’s Bursary - disregarded?

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

Dear All,

We have been approached by full time college student and has just (Oct ’20) started receiving a Vulnerable Learner’s Bursary of £120pcm.

From the gov website it says, in respect of UC, that: -

“...institutions can pay a bursary to a vulnerable group student of more than £1,200 if they assess they need extra help to remain in education…Bursary funds awarded to a student should not form part of the UC assessment undertaken by the Department for Work and Pensions”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19-bursary-fund-guide-2020-to-2021-academic-year#eligibility-criteria-bursaries-for-young-people-in-defined-vulnerable-groups

I assume it is disregarded for HB (client is in temp accommo) but cannot find anything - and this extract from the previous casenote indicates I am not the only one…

“She called the LB Wandsworth Housing office to check if it is income and says that they were not sure either.”

If anyone can point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it

Thanks in advance

[ Edited: 3 Nov 2020 at 11:05 am by roecab ]
roecab
forum member

Send message

As the client gets UC will it not mean that all income is ignored as per Schedule 5 para. 4 - i.e. .  Where a claimant is on [F7universal credit,] income support[F8, an income-based jobseeker’s allowance or an income-related employment and support allowance] the whole of his income.

So if ignored for UC, and UC entitlement whole income ignored then should not affect HB?

Does that sound about right?

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

Yes, if they are getting UC in TA then the HB is calculated based on nil income (just like IS etc.).

It makes sense, because if they were getting HC in their UC, it would be a straight addition to what they are already getting.

roecab
forum member

Send message

Timothy,

Many thanks

Have a great day!

Michael