Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Death while waiting for a hearing

Mike S
forum member

IAA/Equal Lives Framingham Pigot

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Hi

I am not sure if this question has arisen before, but my apologies if it has.

Our client submitted a PIP appeal but sadly has died before a hearing has taken place (we are listed as his representative).

He was awarded Std Mob from June 2019 until January 2022 but looking at the paperwork I believe he should have been entitled to Std DL too (he was awarded 6 points by DWP). His nearest relative is wondering whether to proceed and whether it has any chance of proceeding? if so can they use any of the possible favourable award to pay towards his funeral?  As yet I am no sure if he has any outstanding debts (e.g. to HMRC or DWP) but died almost penniless and had no partner or dependents.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Don’t see why not. It won’t lapse automatically - There is a representative, and the proceedings aren’t entirely personal to the deceased.
Can’t find the relevant caselaw at the moment though, sorry.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

In the 1999 D&A Regs there is a provision in Reg 34 for the DWP to appoint someone like you to continue with the appeal if the claimant dies before the hearing.  But those regs do not apply to PIP and as far as I can see there is nothing in the 2013 D&A Regs that does the same job.  Will have to look into this, it is possible that the equivalent of Reg 34 is somewhere entirely different.  Charles is the man who usually has the reference at his fingertips - I know he’s around this afternoon so if you are reading Charles ...

PS, wow you lot were quick.  OK, so it’s in the Claims and Payments Regs - course it is, where else would they put something to do with decisions and APPEALS?

Mike S
forum member

IAA/Equal Lives Framingham Pigot

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Thank you all- particularly the bit about Claims and Payments Regs

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1411

Sorry Peter, didn’t see this thread on Friday.

See also Reg 49 of the 2013 D&A Regs.

MM1239
forum member

Advisory Team, Money Matters, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 15

As above…
WE have a similar situation - got family member to take on the appeal nd we continue to represent - wrote to DWP and HMCTS and all proceeding smoothly thus far.