to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Valuation Office Agency decision in the news

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3777

Council tax must be paid on the second home in Durham in which Dominic Cummings and his family stayed during the lockdown, a government agency has ruled.

But the Valuation Office Agency decided not to backdate thousands of pounds in unpaid council taxes on the property since it was built on his parents’ North Lodge estate in 2002 without permission.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/14/dominic-cummings-must-pay-council-tax-on-second-home-in-durham

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3777

BBC Newsnight’s Lewis Goodall tweeting that:

I understand that Durham County Council will shortly announce that they will be looking at “all possible options” to appeal the Valuation Office Agency’s decision not to backdate council tax for Dominic Cummings’ NE home.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1318221763587788800

Judy Scott
forum member

Judy Scott Consultancy

Send message

Total Posts: 53

This is about local authorities policy and practice for Council Tax Reduction

Does anybody know if there is a source for information on local authority charging practices for Council Tax in the UK?
I am looking for the amount of earnings a person can have before their Council Tax Reduction is reduced.

Thank you
Judy Scott

Prisca
forum member

benefits section (training & accuracy) Bristol city council

Send message

Total Posts: 201

Hi Judy

each Local Authority has its own council tax reduction scheme, so there isn’t a fixed amount that someone can earn before maximum council tax support attracts an income taper reduction
However, each council should have a copy of their council tax support/reduction scheme on its internet pages. This will explain whether the scheme is income banded or based on income compared to applicable amount, whether there is a minimum % of council tax which has to be paid regardless of income,  etc.

Judy Scott
forum member

Judy Scott Consultancy

Send message

Total Posts: 53

Prisca
Thanks so much for getting back quick on this.

I am actually looking for the income taper reduction in all local authorities.  I realise that this can vary in England according to the decisions of the local authority. This is for a potential national campaign to address the 63p in the £1 reduction for people who receive Universal Credit and do not have a work allowance.

I hoped that there would be a table of all local authorities and their income taper policy.

So if anybody knows of such information that would be most welcome