Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Can someone satisfy the rule to count for an extra bedroom but also not count for a non dependent deduction?

JAS1
forum member

Advice Worker, Gaddum Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 367

Sorry if title is confusing.

Carer is daughter who looks after dad. Dad moved in to hers in May. Dad still owns his own home. Looks like he will be living with her for the foreseeable due to his health. Carer says she gets HB/CA/UC. Dad gets AA, no PC entitlement unfortunately. She wants to know how he will affect her benefits. She is getting bedroom taxed for one room. I see 2 issues with housing costs/council tax support -

Non dependent deductions -

I am wondering the chance of him meeting the below exemption criteria -

“usually lives elsewhere (but you need to tell us their permanent address or we will usually make the deduction)”

Anyone know how local authorities tend to decide the “lives elsewhere” criteria?

Bedroom tax -

Dad gets HR AA so Carer should now not be bedroom taxed right as she is allowed the room for him. Will they accept he is living there if he has his own property still?

Trying to see if she can meet both of these but realise they potentially kind of contradict each other a bit!

Cheers

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

why is she getting uc and hb?

if its specified/exempt then would that not mean no bedroom tax?

JAS1
forum member

Send message

Sorry she misspoke she means UC housing costs not housing benefit. Not specified accommodation unfortunately.

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 184

I think no non dep deduction should apply as he receives AA.

JAS1
forum member

Send message

Ah yes, good point! I was looking at the housing benefit rules, under HB it seems the person claiming has to be getting AA, but under UC it is the non dependent that matters.

That’s good, cheers. So if he’s living there since May, has been permanently living there with no sign of going home he should be good for the extra bedroom too then and stop the under occupancy charge?