Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Permitted work as partner

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 224

Hello,

Can the partner of an ESA claimant be allowed permitted work rules? It is a double SDP protected couple. One is on zero hours contract with fluctuating hours which stay under 15 hours. If her partner is the claimant, does this fall under permitted work or just normal disregard?

Big thanks

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

I don’t believe permitted work rules apply in respect of the partner. This means there is no restriction on how long they can work or how much they earn but also means that everything they earn is taken into account as earned income (less the disregard).

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Partners are still subject to the 24 hour work limit, but if they never exceed 15 hours, and if they have (or could get) LCW - then it seems better off to switch claimant and partner? I.e. so that partner becomes the claimant and then they do get the permitted work allowance.

Suspect that would entail some messiness with a new claim, but can’t see what actually prevents it ...

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Thanks Jon - I forgot the 24 hour limit.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2901

Jon (CHDCA) - 24 September 2020 04:16 PM

Partners are still subject to the 24 hour work limit, but if they never exceed 15 hours, and if they have (or could get) LCW - then it seems better off to switch claimant and partner? I.e. so that partner becomes the claimant and then they do get the permitted work allowance.

Suspect that would entail some messiness with a new claim, but can’t see what actually prevents it ...

Can’t do switcheroo unless:

- partner is HB claimant.  SDP gateway wouldn’t allow the current ESA partner to become the ESA(ir) claimant because s/he is not personally entitled to an SDP.  Or
- partner has personal award of old style ESA(c) which could be upgraded to income-related if existing claimant stops claiming

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

HB Anorak - 25 September 2020 09:06 AM
Jon (CHDCA) - 24 September 2020 04:16 PM

Can’t do switcheroo unless:

- partner is HB claimant.  SDP gateway wouldn’t allow the current ESA partner to become the ESA(ir) claimant because s/he is not personally entitled to an SDP.  Or
- partner has personal award of old style ESA(c) which could be upgraded to income-related if existing claimant stops claiming

I think in this case they’d actually be fine to switch. As they are still partners, Reg. 4A of the UC(TP) Regs still bites.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2901

Of course, P cannot claim UC if, in order to do so, s/he would have to claim jointly with C who cannot claim UC.

Yes, agreed