to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

SEISS and pension credit

Nicola Hersh
forum member

Freelance benefits consultant, London

Send message

Total Posts: 106

My client was self-employed but started receiving pension credit in the last month. If she claims help under the self-employed income support scheme, how will this affect her pension credit?

Secondly, the scheme applies to those whose trading profits were more than 50% of their other taxable income. So does that mean that Attendance Allowance and housing benefit are ignored for SEISS?

LITRG
forum member

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 107

Yes AA and HB are ignored when looking at the 50% rule.

On the PC question, we are waiting to see exactly how it will be treated for tax purposes which might inform the treatment for PC and other benefits. We know it will be taxable, and that it is self-employed income for UC. So i would guess it will be treated as self-employed income for PC….

Victoria

Nicola Hersh
forum member

Freelance benefits consultant, London

Send message

Total Posts: 106

Victoria

Thank you for your reply

Nicola

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

We’re assuming it’s going to be treated as self-employed income in the usual way.

Chris Jones
forum member

Welfare Benefits Advice Team, Network Homes, London

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Hello

I’ve just come across an issue with this. I understand SEISS counts as income for pension credit. But what period does the payment cover? My client has had two payments now as we’re in September, how are they apportioned to work out pension credit?

He had a £2450 grant payment in June, and pension credit have put in an income of £150p/w from May to August (claim made in August, asked for 3 month backdate and grant received in June) and I can’t work out why his earned income would be £150p/w. There is no other work being done either. Incidentally this deemed income seems to have left him with £2p/w savings credit.

His 2nd payment was less which is expected as it is a reduced % of profits but somehow he now has no pension credit entitlement.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? How do they come up with the weekly income figure?  I’m just struggling to find any non UC guidance on it.

All I can find is this - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/la-welfare-direct-bulletins-2020/la-welfare-direct-42020#coronavirus-covid-19——treatment-of-self-employed-income-and-the-new-self-employment-income-support-scheme-impact-on-hb

I’m struggling with that too, how does the grant get divided up to work out the weekly entitlement?

Thanks

Chris