to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC claim by former student

James Craig
forum member

Welfare Adviser - Young Lives vs Cancer, Hammersmith & Fulham

Send message

Total Posts: 115

If a student abandons his course, because of severe illness, soon after receiving his first student loan payment of the new academic year, am I right in thinking that:

1. he is no longer a student, so can claim UC immediately;
2. he may be assessed by Student Finance England as having been overpaid some of his student loan, which he would be asked to repay straight away; and
3. if he claims UC he will have no deemed income arising as a result of his student finance?

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2906

You are thinking of the fiendishly complicated rules in the legacy benefits for guesstimating how much of the last loan instalment ought to be left at the point when they leave the course, right?  A formula involving books and travel, £10 disregards added back in, counting weeks until you run out of toes and fingers - that one?  It comes as no surprise to discover that UC really cannot be doing with any of that.  Not a student anymore?  No student income for UC.

I’m going to feel real silly now when someone shows me the bit of the UC Regs I missed where those rules are replicated - but I’m pretty sure I’ve done a thorough trawl.  Those rules just don’t sound very UC-ish to me - really not their style.

James Craig
forum member

Send message

Thanks very much for the response.

I’m afraid you were overestimating my knowledge of the old system - I was simply looking for someone to back up my reading of what it says in the CPAG Handbook:

“You are counted as having student income if you are undertaking a course and have a student loan or grant in respect of that course.”

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 369

Yes, no student income because no longer falls under reg 68.

Para H6152 of the ADM confirms:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/907998/admh6.pdf

no student income from date of abandonment of the course

James Craig
forum member

Send message

Thanks Will -  that could hardly be more clear.