Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Ratio of Work Coaches to UC claimants - as of 31/07/2020 for numbers of WC’s and claimant numbers 09/07/2020 in Dorset see FOI attached and link below

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1011

Weymouth including Bridport 22 WC’s for Bridport’s 2,171 claimants and Weymouth’s 9,592 claimants
Bournemouth 41 WC’s for 24,854 claimants
Poole including Blandford 34 WC’s for Blandford’ 2,328 claimants and Poole’s 16,889 claimants
Ringwood 6 WC’s for 2,663 claimants

http://dwp-stats.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=f90fb305d8da4eb3970812b3199cf489

Have attached 2018’s and 2019’s FOI’s for completeness.

File Attachments

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3548

That’s an awful lot of people for one work coach to be supporting - between about 530 and 600!!

forum member

Send message

Daphne - 19 August 2020 01:21 PM

That’s an awful lot of people for one work coach to be supporting - between about 530 and 600!!

Isn’t it just Daphne!

Wonder what the ratio’s in other areas are outside Dorset, as well as nationally?

Also I wonder what are the ratio of case managers to UC claimants and the ratio of Decision Makers to UC claimants is?

If any MP’s or their Caseworkers stumble over this post or for that matter the W&P committee or PAC members. They are all arguably pertinent questions regarding service delivery. You may want to consider exploring some or all of the above with Ministers and civil servants.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

There are figures in the public domain about the anticipated ratio of UC claimants to work coaches but I can’t find them at the moment, so don’t know whether there figures are what they expect to be the case or not? I do remember the ratio seemed on the high side.

forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 19 August 2020 02:24 PM

There are figures in the public domain about the anticipated ratio of UC claimants to work coaches but I can’t find them at the moment, so don’t know whether there figures are what they expect to be the case or not? I do remember the ratio seemed on the high side.

You are right Paul re: originally projected figures! They seemed unfeasible back in 2018. See link below.

but the recent figures for Dorset are way beyond those!

https://www.nao.org.uk/press-release/rolling-out-universal-credit/

[ Edited: 19 Aug 2020 at 03:38 pm by shawn mach ]
Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Thanks Andy, I knew I’d seen it somewhere.

Number of claimants per work coach (those who have a dedicated work coach) was forecast to be 373, so the figures you’ve sourced are pretty much off the scale.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

It’s likely, of course, that recruiting new work coaches will lag the increase in claimant numbers by a long time period.

forum member

Send message

Gareth Morgan - 19 August 2020 04:15 PM

It’s likely, of course, that recruiting new work coaches will lag the increase in claimant numbers by a long time period.

Well certainly the Govt have made announcements e.g. Mims Davies in response to Seema Malhotra’s question back in mid July that they were already recruiting more WC’s and CM’s. Although googling DWP recruitment, it appears that the latest was watch this space we are recruiting in the Autumn.

It will not be straightforward in the current Covid crisis for obvious reasons coupled with all the pre-covid service delivery challenges e.g highlighted recent HOL report and Rightsnet on a daily basis.

forum member

Send message

Just for completeness - link to further response from DWP

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/what_is_the_current_ratio_of_wor#incoming-1631996