Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Actor in a PIP decision

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 466

Another “did I dream it” post.

It was in the early days of PIP; in consideration of activity 9, I remember a UT decision about a chap with Asbergers who was a keen amateur dramtist and used his dramatic skills as a shield to manage his interactions with other people.

I have searched and searched but can’t find any amateur dramatists.

Did I dream it?

Thanks

[ Edited: 19 Aug 2020 at 10:15 am by Dan Manville ]
Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

No you definitely did not Dan. Social Security caselaw series. The little red books. Can’t remember the name. Was it nothing but unreported cases? Got them all in our office or maybe in storage. Either way, no access whilst working from home. However, I absolutely remember that case and many others.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

The Digest of Unreported Social Security Decisions. That was what I was thinking of. Wiped out by the various www sites but I could have sat and read it for hours… and did.

Dan Manville
forum member

Send message

Elliot Kent - 18 August 2020 06:37 PM

SSWP v AM (PIP) [2015] UKUT 215 (AAC)
http://administrativeappeals.decisions.tribunals.gov.uk//Aspx/view.aspx?id=4506

You know I glimpsed that yesterday but thought the actor dialogue was more prominent in Judge Mark’s findings. Thanks Elliot

Mike Hughes - 19 August 2020 09:59 AM

Wiped out by the various www sites but I could have sat and read it for hours… and did.

It’s rare I’ve had the time to do that, but, yes, I remember the little red books. /me looks dreamily over the years passed.

Thanks both

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3776

Dan Manville - 19 August 2020 10:15 AM
Elliot Kent - 18 August 2020 06:37 PM

SSWP v AM (PIP) [2015] UKUT 215 (AAC)
http://administrativeappeals.decisions.tribunals.gov.uk//Aspx/view.aspx?id=4506

You know I glimpsed that yesterday but thought the actor dialogue was more prominent in Judge Mark’s findings. Thanks Elliot ...

Yes, no mention of the acting in our summary, so apologies it wouldn’t have turned up on a rightsnet search for that or related words:

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/caselaw/item/meaning-of-engage-with-other-people-and-interaction-of-activity-9-with-regu

(Ps - spot on re you remembering that it was in the early days of PIP ... looks like we have it as the earliest Activity 9-related decision over on pipinfo ... https://pipinfo.net/activities/engaging-with-other-people-face-to-face)

Thank goodness for Elliot’s super brain ....

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2000

Neligan’s

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 615

To be fair, AM is cited at [4.252] page 835 in the current (2019/20) edition of Social Security Legislation Vol 1

The authors are all Upper Tribunal Judges but they make no comments about Judge Mark’s observation that ” Being able to put on an act on special occasions, even a few times a week when going to the drama group, after lengthy preparation does not fulfil the criteria of the descriptor “

It seems that even the authors of the standard text book overlooked this one

[ Edited: 19 Aug 2020 at 04:28 pm by Stainsby ]
shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3776

Gareth Morgan - 19 August 2020 12:24 PM

Neligan’s

There’s no need for that 😂

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 615

“It’s rare I’ve had the time to do that, but, yes, I remember the little red books. /me looks dreamily over the years passed.”

So you read Chairman Mao at school?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

I think my fave red book decision was the industrial injuries one about the cops. Regularly used to assault each other “for a joke” in order to ease the tensions of the working day. Come on, we’ve all done it, surely?

Anyway, one jumped the other and put him in hospital. Question was whether said accident arose out of employment and in the course of etc. SSC, as an ex forces bod, absolutely accepted that assaulting ones colleagues in jest and for stress management was what he’d done in the forces so, yeah, why not.

Red book delivery was the highlight of my quarter.

Also very handy running a Supplementary Benefit take-up campaign (as I did, up to 1999).

Dan Manville
forum member

Send message

There is a very happy actor out there today.

Thanks again for your help.