to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Arrears of ESA assessment phase

TP45
forum member

Housing Benefit & Hostel Income Advisor - The Salvation Army, London

Send message

Total Posts: 29

We have a client who applied for ESA in February 2016.  He was refused ESA due to failing the right to reside test.  This decision was appealed, but stayed behind Gubeladze.  Following the Supreme Court judgement, the decision regarding his RTR test was revised in his favour in August 2019 (no need to register employment with HO worker registration scheme from 2009-2011, so had achieved a permanent RTR).

Whilst the appeal was stayed, the DWP continued to assess a credits-only ESA claim.  The client attended a WCA, but in December 2016 the claim was refused as he did not have LCW or LCWRA.  He was sign-posted to apply for JSA instead, but did not do so due to the ongoing appeal regarding his RTR.

My question is, after being found to have a RTR, should he be awarded arrears of ESA assessment phase from February to December 2016?  Or does the fact he was never paid any benefit mean the ESA claim can be completely refused from February 2016?

Any help much appreciated, as I’m not an expert in ESA.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

I can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t be paid from Feb to December - the appeal found he had a right to reside in Feb - therefore that claim should be paid until the decision that he did not have LCW

TP45
forum member

Housing Benefit & Hostel Income Advisor - The Salvation Army, London

Send message

Total Posts: 29

Thanks Daphne.  I have now found that payment was made for the period from Feb16-Mar16, as he had provided medical evidence.  Unfortunately none was submitted for the period Apr16-Dec16 (likely as he had been turned down as PFA).

I’m guessing that there is no possibility of submitting medical evidence at this (very) late stage to cover the period Apr16-Dec16 and get ESA paid for the full assessment phase?

N.B. decision on his LCW made Dec16, but decision on his RTR only made in Aug19 following Gubeladze.