to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP assessment by Capita in an Atos /IAS area

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

We have always been in an Atos/IAS area for PIP assessments. My client has received a letter today inviting him to a PIP assessment by telephone. The letter has come from Capita PIP, Darlington.

Any ideas as to why Capita is doing the assessment? I’ve not come across this before.

Chrissum
forum member

WRAMAS, Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 240

It also appears to happening in our neck of the woods. I’m guessing it is all to do with capacity. If the assessment is to be carried out over the phone, it doesn’t matter where the assessor is based so it is a reasonable guess that claimants are being given the next available assessor rather than a system based on location. But it is just that. A guess.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Interesting that it is happening elsewhere. I do recall that Atos originally announced that it was operating a sub-contracting system for PIP assessments, sub-contracting them out to various HCP firms, but I rather thought that this had gone by the wayside in recent years. Maybe not. Perhaps it is struggling with staffing issues, there was talk of HCPs being drafted on to the frontline of the pandemic a few months ago.

I am a bit suspicious in this particular case because his partner received a letter saying that her CA was going to run out when his PIP award expired in a couple of weeks. We rang to get the PIP award extended by 6 months and low and behold a couple of days later he gets this assessment letter from Capita.

Keith S Adviser
forum member

Kirkham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 63

We have also seen Capita sending out letters for telephone based assessments. (North West)

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 627

“Perhaps it is struggling with staffing issues, there was talk of HCPs being drafted on to the frontline of the pandemic a few months ago”

Ye Gods! If they are as inept as we are used to I pity anyone who comes under their “care”!

” patient observed to cough profusely, accompanied by high temperature and breathing difficulties- there is no evidence of any functional impairment”:- Treatment Denied.

“Patient observed to be lying motionless, with no evidence of respiration and no pulse :-No evidence of functional restriction-Condition expected to improve in 3 months”.