to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Compensation for poor administration etc

MM1239
forum member

Advisory Team, Money Matters, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 15

Not sure where to post this as the main topic is compo, but as i was triggered by UC migration I’ll put it here….

Client was entitled to ir legacy benefit due to the sdp gateway. For various reasons the DWP delayed a decision on this, gave wrong advice and at one point said she could not claim as she was living with a partner in f/t work (not so - they looked her up by name, didn’t check address or NINo; someone unconnected has the same name).

Anyway, we complained and asked for compensation - got £50, then £100 then took the complaint to ICE. In June, ICE were dealing with complaints lodged in November 2018 so little hope of a quick response.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

ICE are not fit for purpose but now we’re moving to “triage” who knows how bad it will get.

MM1239
forum member

Advisory Team, Money Matters, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 15

Hmm. Interesting bit was when a nice lady from ICE phoned and said that there were long delays, would we like to do arbitration as it would potentially be quicker and if it failed the complaunt would continue. OK, we said. How much money? she said (I paraphrase, and note we also wanted training for some DWP staff) . We said. She said that was unrealistic. No comment from the DWP. Back in the queue.