to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

LCW/RA for mixed age couples

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 447

Prior to last week, a mixed age couple on IRESA would have to claim UC prior to the oldest member reaching state pension age in order to retain LCW/RA as it’s not retained if the UC claim is made after state pension age. Regulation 19 of the UC Transitional Provisions Regs 2014 only applies where the claimant was entitled to ESA on the day they claimed UC

Does anyone know if that’s still the case now that there’s a run-on of IRESA for 2 weeks after a UC claim, given that you would be being paid ESA on the day you claimed UC even though you were pension age?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Good question and one I don’t know the answer to. I’ll need to check the run-on regulations.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

But you won’t get the run-on unless you claim UC when still on ESA - so you still need to apply before you hit pension age I believe

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 447

Daphne - 30 July 2020 01:27 PM

But you won’t get the run-on unless you claim UC when still on ESA - so you still need to apply before you hit pension age I believe

Good point - if no UC claim, ESA would stop on pension age so no run-on on state pension age day

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Daphne - 30 July 2020 01:27 PM

Good point Daphne