to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC and WCA

JayKay
forum member

Benefits adviser - Penwith Housing Association, Penzance

Send message

Total Posts: 139

I have just received an email from a case manager at UC in relation to a claimant that was sectioned in a psychiatric unit when their UC claim began.  I was querying why, 9 months into their claim they hadn’t been referred for a WCA yet.  Their response was that the fact that they were sectioned in hospital would not have flagged up that they had a health problem, and also that they can’t always see the sick notes that are submitted.  They advised that the hospital (as appointee) needs to notify UC of a change of circumstances so the claimant can start their ‘health journey’.

I’m seriously gobsmacked…....

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

This has come up a few times before.

The WCA process should start when the claimant either discloses that they have a health condition that limits their ability to work or if this is obvious (blind, amputated etc). There is not strictly a need to submit a fit note - although DWP likes to think (and insist) so.

This is potentially something you can challenge by judicial review, CPAG should be able to help, including with template letters etc.

If you’re looking at resolving this is the short term you might get there by just threatening JR, or use the local MP.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

What on earth is a ‘health journey’!

JayKay
forum member

Benefits adviser - Penwith Housing Association, Penzance

Send message

Total Posts: 139

I know - the term ‘health journey’ made me shudder. 

And the hospital has confirmed that they sent in a 12 month Med10 at the start of the claim, with a covering letter.  And the case manager involved is their contact point with UC.

So UC case managers can’t see when Med10s are provided, can’t see if there are appointees for other DWP benefits, and don’t think that people sectioned in secure psychiatric units have a health problem.

I find it slightly terrifying that this system is being rolled out to more and more vulnerable people.