rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

I like the Championship just how it is, thanks.

Let’s call that a result shall we?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Erm, no. The championship season should definitely be scrubbed, all results declared null and void. No reason whatsoever to do Leeds any favours, now or anytime.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Sorry, Brentford were clearly gearing up to go on a 9 match unbeaten run as Leeds fell apart (again) and we would have been going straight up.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 868

are we not doing Scottish football because we have all just agreed that celtic would have won 9 in a row by now?

(disclaimer re celtic winning 9 in a row being my own policy and not that of my employer etc).

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

stevenmcavoy - 02 April 2020 11:01 AM

are we not doing Scottish football because we have all just agreed that celtic would have won 9 in a row by now?

(disclaimer re celtic winning 9 in a row being my own policy and not that of my employer etc).

Oh no .... what an omission:

Here’s the Premiership .... https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/sco-premiership

.... plus here’s the Women’s Super League: https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-frauen-womens-super-league

(I’m still coming to terms with the pausing of the rightsnet Chimpions league where I was getting ready to make my move on Too Mané Men: https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagues/87452/standings/h)

Bram@Ladywood
forum member

Ladywood Community Advice Service Birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 31

With Villa in the relegation zone I say end the season now.
Up the Blues (not Chelsea obviously)

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Find myself not missing football all that much. I’m missing the bus, 2 trains and short walk far more.

Quite like the RFU way of sorting this all out. Far too obvious for football which doesn’t have the imagination to do something everyone might consent to.

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 118

BC Welfare Rights - 01 April 2020 05:41 PM

Erm, no. The championship season should definitely be scrubbed, all results declared null and void. No reason whatsoever to do Leeds any favours, now or anytime.

I have been supporting Barnsley since 1978 and quite frankly we deserve to be relegated, too crap too often and too much given away. If the season were to be expunged, it would only prolong the hope and the usual agony for another year. I often have the feeling that watching Barnsley is like having a beloved old dog and just waiting until it has to be put down. Then every few years you have a fresh surge of hope, new players,stylish play and results and it’s like having a new puppy.

ROBBO
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 02 April 2020 09:48 AM

Sorry, Brentford were clearly gearing up to go on a 9 match unbeaten run as Leeds fell apart (again) and we would have been going straight up.

Paul, this is exactly the sort of thing I had assumed would happen, sadly.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

juliem - 06 April 2020 03:31 PM

I have been supporting Barnsley since 1978 and quite frankly we deserve to be relegated, too crap too often and too much given away. If the season were to be expunged, it would only prolong the hope and the usual agony for another year. I often have the feeling that watching Barnsley is like having a beloved old dog and just waiting until it has to be put down. Then every few years you have a fresh surge of hope, new players,stylish play and results and it’s like having a new puppy.

You did have last season’s promotion to hold on to though. Try supporting Huddersfield Town for the last couple of years. I went to nearly every Saturday home match for 18 months and didn’t see us win once. We went several months without even scoring. When the whole stadium is sarcastically singing “we had a shot” you know things are pretty dire.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

The Cowley’s will see you right. They know what they’re doing.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

I really enjoyed my trip up to Barnsley a couple of season’s back. Especially liked finding a pub where you could see the ground from the back garden and it was £2 a pint!!??

When I expressed my surprise and joy to the landlord about the prices compared to my local pub (and doubled up on the drinks as a result), he replied “Eh lad, that’s why we don’t like that London up here”.

juliem
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 06 April 2020 04:26 PM

I really enjoyed my trip up to Barnsley a couple of season’s back. Especially liked finding a pub where you could see the ground from the back garden and it was £2 a pint!!??

When I expressed my surprise and joy to the landlord about the prices compared to my local pub (and doubled up on the drinks as a result), he replied “Eh lad, that’s why we don’t like that London up here”.

We aim to be welcoming. For such a good view, that sounds like the Dove. Early connections with Barnsley FC and nice Snaith Brewery ale. Other pubs with lesser views of the ground are available. Certainly until this virus started we still had a number of small chain pubs where you could get a pint for under £2. Prices might rise a little afterwards.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

juliem - 07 April 2020 08:15 AM

We aim to be welcoming. For such a good view, that sounds like the Dove. Early connections with Barnsley FC and nice Snaith Brewery ale. Other pubs with lesser views of the ground are available. Certainly until this virus started we still had a number of small chain pubs where you could get a pint for under £2. Prices might rise a little afterwards.

Wow, I’m dead impressed, it was indeed the Dove that I went to. Liked the little terrace out the back, the landlord was very friendly and the beer was ace. Let’s hope we can do it all again sometime soon.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Barnsley!  I said Barnsley!  Is that in the country they call Yorkshire?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

nevip - 07 April 2020 11:23 PM

Barnsley!  I said Barnsley!  Is that in the country they call Yorkshire?

How will you know if someone is fromYorkshire?

Cos they’ll tell you….

nevip
forum member

Send message

When I was 15 we went on a school geography trip to the hills around Malham.  Wonderful scenery.  Since then I have been to Yorkshire many times, including to the Moors and to the Dales.  If you stand somewhere on the road between Richmond and near to the village of Hawkeswell at sunset on a summers day, looking down and across toward the countryside around Middleham, it is easy to see why they call it God’s country.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

nevip - 08 April 2020 10:03 AM

When I was 15 we went on a school geography trip to the hills around Malham.  Wonderful scenery.  Since then I have been to Yorkshire many times, including to the Moors and to the Dales.  If you stand somewhere on the road between Richmond and near to the village of Hawkeswell at sunset on a summers day, looking down and across toward the countryside around Middleham, it is easy to see why they call it God’s country.

Pretty much the time we went from school in North Wales and ended up having a great time with a school from Liverpool in a youth hostel. Apart from the fight in the stream :)

nevip
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes - 08 April 2020 10:23 AM
nevip - 08 April 2020 10:03 AM

Pretty much the time we went from school in North Wales and ended up having a great time with a school from Liverpool in a youth hostel. Apart from the fight in the stream :)

Yup!  Sounds about right.

ROBBO
forum member

Send message

Have to say this Brentord-based narrative is playing out very unpopular in these parts.

Unless you start losing loads, and we remember how to score.

juliem
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 07 April 2020 09:30 AM

Wow, I’m dead impressed, it was indeed the Dove that I went to. Liked the little terrace out the back, the landlord was very friendly and the beer was ace. Let’s hope we can do it all again sometime soon.

Well the footy is going quite well, The Dove Inn was having some painting done when I went past it yesterday, although Brentford fans may have interesting new venues for next year, and not just their own ground. Leeds may be falling apart again, and it was all in Barnsley’s own hands until Wigan mixed it up yesterday.
We shall just have to see.

PS Nevip - you can usually hear somebody’s from Yorkshire, they don’t have to tell you! I just confuse them as I am only half Yorkshire. The half with the purse/wallet!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Went to a Football Supporters Fed meeting last night on Zoom. Quite an eye opener on the day Wigan went into admin. Basically almost every club from Championship level down has had a conversation with administrators to see how long they’ve got or explore admin. as a safe haven. Many clubs think they fold between September and December whether football resumes or not. Safety groups and insurers are likely to impose ground restrictions involving social distancing and mitigation regardless of government guidance but this means even with crowds back most stadiums will be operating at 1/3 capacity at best and with no away fans at all. Turnstiles will need to be contactless as will refreshments which will need to be click and collect. Many stadiums will have no working toilets and so will need to close stands. Some will need toilet monitors and so on.

Income from everything will of course be well down from all sources and on that basis you can expect conversations about a restructure sooner rather than later.

Wigan is very much the tip of the iceberg. A lot of “investors” sniffing around talking of rescue of clubs etc. but in reality scouting out the weakest of the weak. Two tactics being employed at present. Appear to be a new investor in a club; put some money in and then, when football isn’t viable, ask for your investment back; plunge the club into admin. and buy it on the cheap to do what you wish with the land etc. Alternatively, bid for a share; get an idea of financial viability; back off from the ones who appear to be okay for a while but target the ones close to folding. Again, cheap purchase etc.

Glad your all enjoying the return of the EPL and below but this isn’t going to be pretty.

juliem
forum member

Send message

Thanks for that Mike Hughes….very interesting and very scary.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Actually, I forgot to add one of the more interesting aspects of this. Who are these “investors” sniffing out something to purchase cheap and turn into profit by changing the use at its lowest, weakest moment? Mostly… football agents!!! 1400 free agents in the EFL at minimum at present so agent income is well down. So, go bite the hand that feeds. Agents of course have long been sold to us as being part of the game/in the interests of the players/game. Hmm.

I couldn’t hide my visible horror on Zoom and had to turn my video and audio off for a moment.

juliem
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes - 02 July 2020 03:29 PM

Actually, I forgot to add one of the more interesting aspects of this. Who are these “investors” sniffing out something to purchase cheap and turn into profit by changing the use at its lowest, weakest moment? Mostly… football agents!!! 1400 free agents in the EFL at minimum at present so agent income is well down. So, go bite the hand that feeds. Agents of course have long been sold to us as being part of the game/in the interests of the players/game. Hmm.

I couldn’t hide my visible horror on Zoom and had to turn my video and audio off for a moment.

Yes a lot of agents are like banks were selling PPI - only there for their cut. And the Trade Union could do with some changes but that’s a different story.

juliem
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 07 April 2020 09:30 AM

Well that was a surprise end to the season! Legal stuff from Wigan, Weds, Derby depending of course.
Good Luck to Brentford in the playoffs but we might be doing it all again sooner than expected.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

juliem - 23 July 2020 08:26 AM

Well that was a surprise end to the season! Legal stuff from Wigan, Weds, Derby depending of course.
Good Luck to Brentford in the playoffs but we might be doing it all again sooner than expected.

Well done on winning last night, he says through gritted teeth. We didn’t really turn up again and allowed you to play to your strengths (and even more annoyingly, QPHa held West Brom to a draw which meant if we’d have won, we’d have been promoted).

Can’t say I fancy coming up against Swansea but we’ll see, you never know. I think you’re safe, can’t see Wigan winning their appeal but in this mad world, who knows?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

The Wigan one is interesting. They’re claiming force majeure and may well be right. However, can the EFL afford to be seen to rescinding points deductions, which would in effect be yet another tacit admission their processes are not fit for purpose when it comes to ownership transfers.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Hmm, not so sure the force majeure defence stands up to any scrutiny, that’s a coincidence.

Choi never attended a game – apparently regarding the club purely as an investment – but, in June, Wigan was transferred to another business in which he had a controlling interest, the New Leader Fund (NLF) registered in the Cayman Islands.

Two weeks ago, there was a further twist when control of the NLF passed to Hong Kong businessman Au Yeung, who tried forcing the club’s UK-based directors to accept responsibility for a £24 million loan used to repay Choi. When the directors refused, Yeung attempted to liquidate the club, before placing it in administration.

A Major Global Scandal’ The Collapse of Wigan Athletic

juliem
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 23 July 2020 09:54 AM
juliem - 23 July 2020 08:26 AM

Well done on winning last night, he says through gritted teeth. We didn’t really turn up again and allowed you to play to your strengths (and even more annoyingly, QPHa held West Brom to a draw which meant if we’d have won, we’d have been promoted).

Can’t say I fancy coming up against Swansea but we’ll see, you never know. I think you’re safe, can’t see Wigan winning their appeal but in this mad world, who knows?

We have played to our strengths against the better teams and ought to have demolished most of them (knife through butter against Fulham and the first half at West Brom, everybody loved us away against Leeds) and showed all our weaknesses against Luton etc.

As Mike says, undoing points reductions will expose the whole farce of fit and proper tests. And lead to further threats of legal action.

If Wigan had been claiming universal credit, then they were scammed into giving it all away. I feel sorry for the club/players/town/fans who have been done. And Paul Cook was very gracious, as was Thomas Franks.

Yes, Swansea are the dodgy 6th place team that so often comes through to win! But good luck or see you at the Dove!