Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Judge issues directions for DWP to arrange an EMP visit claimant for an AA appeal - DWP’s response is you can’t cos….........

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1011

The following has been going on since October 2019 with this AA appeal.

We put in an interlocutory application requesting that a Judge direct the Secretary of State to arrange an EMP visit to visit our client.

Not something we ordinarily advise, but for this case has some application in the overall strategy.

Judge directed that they do that i.e. the DWP. I say that, because originally they refused the Tribunal Case Worker’s directions. So two separate directions for an EMP visit issued so far.

DWP have fought tooth and nail not to follow directions from Judge and the Tribunal Case Worker prior to that (told the caseworker we ain’t doing and you can’t make was the gist of it).

When we originally made the application on our client’s behalf we argued First-Tier Tribunal’s do have the power to direct a medical assessment. That power is in Schedule 2 Tribunal Procedure Rules (First-Tier Tribunal) (SEC) Rules 2008. Schedule 2 is headed with ‘Issues in relation to which the tribunal may refer a person for medical examination under section 20 (2) of the Social Security Act 1998’.  AA is on the list of benefits.

Citing the following Secretary of State for Work and Pensions v DB[2016] UKUT 0212 (AAC). See attached.

DWP eventual response to the last Direction issued just short of 8 months ago. Refers to ‘service level agreements’ between the DWP and HMCTS following ‘appeal reforms’. That ‘HMCTS are responsible for arranging and paying for a medical assessment should a Tribunal Judge direct that one be obtained’.

Then further going to say that the DWP ‘does not bear responsibility for obtaining reports from GP’s and other Clinicians’. 

Just to recap Directions refer to a EMP visit i.e. DWP’s contracted out service to ATOS in these parts.

Would be really interested in people’s thoughts on this?

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 292

It seems to me, looking at the section in the Act, the tribunal procedure rules, and the cited case, that the tribunal can clearly order an examination by an HCP approved by the Secretary of State, and can specify what type of HCP. It implies that the tribunal can send the order direct to the HCP, and does not have to go via the Secretary of State. However, there is no explicit power to order the HCP to make a home visit. Also, as with virtually all legislation, the rules and the Act do not specify which Secretary of State has to approve the HCP. If the DWP and HMCTS have agreed that HMCTS will bear the cost of tribunal-directed HCP examinations then it may be the direction should go to an HCP approved by the Secretary of State for Justice.

What to do? If it was me I’d fire off a stiff letter, with a short deadline, to the Chief Executive of HMCTS pointing out that this issue is preventing the resolution of an appeal by an elderly claimant and asking that she either explains how to contact HCPs approved by the Secretary of State for Justice or explains how the issue between HMCTS and DWP can be resolved.

Mick Quinn
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 161

This sounds very similar to one I had with a PIP claim where the assessment provider had decided the claim without inviting claimant in for F2F.

FtT issued a direction for DWP to carry out F2F. Apparently the option of referring back to the assessment provider once it had been cleared never occurred to anyone to make provisions for.

Ended up with an EMP being sent out and (luckily) I sat in due to the uniqueness of the situation just to monitor the EMP.

Just as well, the Doctor who turned up was asking DLA questions and couldn’t quite grasp that the benefit under dispute was PIP.

Dr couldn’t understand why we refused to answer DLA based questions. No other EMP was sent out (even though a request was made for assessment under PIP)

Ended up client attended the appeal hearing and was awarded.

forum member

Send message

Paus17 - 21 July 2020 04:32 PM

It seems to me, looking at the section in the Act, the tribunal procedure rules, and the cited case, that the tribunal can clearly order an examination by an HCP approved by the Secretary of State, and can specify what type of HCP. It implies that the tribunal can send the order direct to the HCP, and does not have to go via the Secretary of State. However, there is no explicit power to order the HCP to make a home visit. Also, as with virtually all legislation, the rules and the Act do not specify which Secretary of State has to approve the HCP. If the DWP and HMCTS have agreed that HMCTS will bear the cost of tribunal-directed HCP examinations then it may be the direction should go to an HCP approved by the Secretary of State for Justice.

What to do? If it was me I’d fire off a stiff letter, with a short deadline, to the Chief Executive of HMCTS pointing out that this issue is preventing the resolution of an appeal by an elderly claimant and asking that she either explains how to contact HCPs approved by the Secretary of State for Justice or explains how the issue between HMCTS and DWP can be resolved.

Thanks for the response Epping!

I posted in part because it’s becoming a increasingly common scenario with the DWP to ignore Judges Directions stemming from interlocutory applications from us and i’m guessing we are not alone and similarly, Judges pre-hearing directions. I.e. it’s always good to get this stuff out there!

Goes without saying we have shared with CPAG’s EWS.

I take your points, but i think in this instance and client happy too. We’ll wait HMCTS’s response to the DWP’s extraordinary response, i would imagine they are similarly underwhelmed too by the DWP’s indifference to rule 2, and other issues linked to this case.

I’ve probably read to much Dadist stuff. But there is something strangely surreal about a massive govt dept like the DWP. The sheer size of Caxton House alone takes some beating! You walk along the street and it goes on for ever before you can actually find an entrance.

Can’t adhere to a simple Direction and using their own in house-ish contracted out independent disability analyst’s etc etc and examine as you say an older adult in a little market town, represented by a little First-tier basic advice agency.

forum member

Send message

Mick Quinn - 21 July 2020 04:39 PM

This sounds very similar to one I had with a PIP claim where the assessment provider had decided the claim without inviting claimant in for F2F.

FtT issued a direction for DWP to carry out F2F. Apparently the option of referring back to the assessment provider once it had been cleared never occurred to anyone to make provisions for.

Ended up with an EMP being sent out and (luckily) I sat in due to the uniqueness of the situation just to monitor the EMP.

Just as well, the Doctor who turned up was asking DLA questions and couldn’t quite grasp that the benefit under dispute was PIP.

Dr couldn’t understand why we refused to answer DLA based questions. No other EMP was sent out (even though a request was made for assessment under PIP)

Ended up client attended the appeal hearing and was awarded.

Thanks for the above Mick really handy to get other Welf’s experiences!