Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

IS10 vs ESA3

efloyd
forum member

Financial & social inclusion officer - Isos Housing, Newcastle

Send message

Total Posts: 89

Hi,

My client receives ESA, and is in the Support Group. He receives £113.90 per week; my understanding of this is that this award is composed of £99.85 contributions based, and £14.05 income related ESA.

After a successful award of DLA and the usual several requests for IS10, my client was sent ESA3. The manager I’ve just spoken to insists that my client ‘doesn’t really’ receive income related ESA because he never applied for it, and what he gets is ‘just a premium’.

I argued that he does, in fact, receive IR ESA, and that as an IS10 form was requested, this is what we would expect to receive. They argue that it’s to ‘find out’ if he’s receiving anything ‘like Industrial Injuries Benefit’. I argue that if he was, his ESA award would already be affected, and that he would have informed the department of a change of circumstances anyway.

It’s incredibly annoying. Am I being unreasonable by insisting this point, or should we just send in ESA3? Will we then have another wait before they insist on having to send IS10 anyway (or will ESA3 replace?).

It’s one of those situations where I don’t know if I’m being incredibly pedantic and unreasonable.

Lee

efloyd
forum member

Send message

Hi Duncan,

Just for the record, and for any other readers who aren’t sure, IS10 is for Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance and Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, and it’s to have entitlement to the severe disability premium confirmed.

In the end, I got the IS10 faxed to me by a very helpful manager; all sorted now.

Lee

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

I do hope you photo-copied it (for next time) before you completed and returned the IS10!!

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Today, one of our volunteers phoned to request an IS10 be posted to a JSA clmt he was with. They were told to just go to the JCP office and ask for one to be handed over (client never came back and said they refused..). For a jobseeker, I guess it’s reasonably a place they should be accessing anyway. For many other claimants this would obviously be a major imposition, I’ll not accept that answer for an ESA claimant. For myself, I think I’ll call in to JCP next time I’m passing, and see if they’ll give me an IS10 or two.

efloyd
forum member

Send message

I once had the DWP remove the severe disability premium from a client’s applicable amount after she moved house. I had to find someone in my local BDC who could use their skill and judgement to reinstate entitlement over the telephone rather than (as they wanted to) faff about sending out an IS10. 

I’m generally finding that my local BDC is having a bit of an issue sending out, and processing, IS10’s. Who knows why? (Rhetorical question. Unless someone really does know why, in which case it’s a real question).

Lee

P.s- I kept a copy.

rwils
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service, Newcastle City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 24

Just to confuse the issue even more, one of my clients had the SDP added to her ESA on the basis of my letter requesting the IS10… She never got an IS10.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Send message

The BDC’s advice to ask for an IS10 at the jobcentre wasn’t helpful. The local office were willing to print an IS10 (once we convinced them the form is for JSA and not just IS), but they are blocked from doing so, apparently due to a “security” feature. The BDC say at 6 pages the form is “too long” to fax to us, but they will post one out. In the meantime, if anyone has a scan of an IS10, perhaps they could attach it to rightsnet? This mythical form seems in great demand.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Why not prepare a statement for the client stating ‘there is no other person living in my household, no one receives CA in respect of me, I receive X rate of DLA cc’, ensure it contains their personal details, date & signature and send it by whatever means to JC+? We often do this for IS/JSA/ESA/HB etc following a successful DLA tribunal.

There is no requirement for the information to be provided on an IS10 or any other form for the SDP to be included.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Send message

We suggested that, the JSA office said that the answers to several specific questions about housing status are required, and we would be better waiting for the form.

EDIT: a blank IS10 is attached, should anyone want to know what info it requires.

[ Edited: 12 Sep 2011 at 03:47 pm by Jon (CANY) ]

File Attachments