Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

New appeal form for PIP and ESA (SSCS1PE)

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

Just in case anyone hasn’t seen the attached letters from HMCTS.

New appeal form for PIP and ESA appeals which is now available. This is the SSCS1PE form. The form is being introduced to replace the SSCS1 as the route into the appeals system for PIP and ESA cases

[ Edited: 8 Jun 2020 at 03:00 pm by shawn mach ]

File Attachments

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 291

Can anyone tell me how to get on the mailing list for these TUG communications?

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Andy, thank you for posting that.

bigbill
forum member

Dumfries Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 127

Online is this the same one?

https://www.gov.uk/appeal-benefit-decision

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Related to this, today’s post had an acknowledgement letter relating to a PIP appeal I have recently helped a client lodge. The letter includes a covering sheet which I am asked to attach to any further evidence I submit and gives the address for a PO Box in Harlow. They are also using the 16 digit numerical reference numbers rather than the SCxxx/xx/xxxxx ones which is going to be a bit annoying over the phone and such but what can you do.

Kurtk
forum member

Pennine West Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 5

Can anyone direct me to a version of this that can actually be typed into?  The SSCS1PE links that I have tried all take me to an Adobe Acrobat .pdf file that I think must have had the write permissions restricted.  Whatever program / app I try to open it in, I cannot type into the boxes.  Is there another link that would take me to one which enable typing directly or has someone figured out a way around this restriction?  Thanks in anticipation.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 454

Kurtk - 05 June 2020 12:54 PM

Can anyone direct me to a version of this that can actually be typed into?  The SSCS1PE links that I have tried all take me to an Adobe Acrobat .pdf file that I think must have had the write permissions restricted.  Whatever program / app I try to open it in, I cannot type into the boxes.  Is there another link that would take me to one which enable typing directly or has someone figured out a way around this restriction?  Thanks in anticipation.

I am guessing the intention is that if you’re typing rather than handwriting you’d be using the online appeal form (https://www.gov.uk/appeal-benefit-decision/submit-appeal). Appreciate there might well be circumstances where you’d want to be typing and printing - just speculating why there isn’t a version available that you can type into.

forum member

Send message

Paus17 - 04 June 2020 06:31 PM

Can anyone tell me how to get on the mailing list for these TUG communications?

See below it was at the bottom of the letter.

‘If you have any further questions about the work of the project, please do not hesitate to raise them by using the email address of the project team’.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

forum member

Send message

Elliot Kent - 04 June 2020 10:51 PM

Related to this, today’s post had an acknowledgement letter relating to a PIP appeal I have recently helped a client lodge. The letter includes a covering sheet which I am asked to attach to any further evidence I submit and gives the address for a PO Box in Harlow. They are also using the 16 digit numerical reference numbers rather than the SCxxx/xx/xxxxx ones which is going to be a bit annoying over the phone and such but what can you do.

Once the appeal papers / Written response is sent out, then the SC192/20/00000 etc etc ref is resurrected, but may involve ringing HMCTS to get it.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1955

‘Representatives should not sign this form’

‘You can still appeal if you do not have your MRN. We will confirm with DWP that they have reconsidered their decision, before accepting your appeal’

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

‘Representatives should not sign this form’

Yes, I don’t get that.  The claimant is required to sign the form under Rule 22 of the FtT Procedure Rules.  But Rule 11 allows a rep’ to do any thing that a party is required to do.  Now unless that’s changed (and admittedly I’m working from last year’s Sweet & Maxwell) then that advice is, shall we say, misleading as long as the rep’ has a duly authorised form of authority.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

The problem is that the notice under which the rep is appointed needs to be sent by the party rather than the rep themselves. The reps powers to act don’t arise until such an appointment is sent - unless the rep is a lawyer - so the appointment is ineffective and therefore the appeal is ineffective.

I think it is arguable, certainly pragmatically if nothing else, that if the rep has a form of authority signed by the party that should be sufficient for the appointment to be recognised.

In the Property Chamber, they insist on proceedings being started under a statement of truth, which would make it impossible to begin a case without the claimant’s signature. I find it a bit surprising that we don’t have the same in the Social Entitlement Chamber.

[ Edited: 8 Jun 2020 at 04:14 pm by Elliot Kent ]
nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

“I think it is arguable, certainly pragmatically if nothing else, that if the rep has a form of authority signed by the party that should be sufficient for the appointment to be recognised”.

That’s the point I was making, though I concede I could have been clearer.  I have never had a problem (never even been questioned on it) of signing the SSCS1 and lodging the appeal with a clearly signed FOA.  That certainly chimes with the overriding objective under Rule 2(a) in “avoiding unnecessary formality and seeking flexibility in the proceedings”.