to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

New page on UC online claim

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

Apparently there is a new page on the online claim - this from an email from a local jobcentre -

New page for claimants making a claim online

Claimants making a claim online will now see a new page called ‘If you already get other benefits’.

This change is part of ongoing work to help new claimants understand how Universal Credit affects their existing benefits and reduce contact.

The new page will tell new claimants:

·      to check how applying for UC will affect their other benefits

·      the 6 benefits that UC replaces

·      that tax credits will end if their partner makes a claim for UC

·      where to go for further information

After reading the page claimants will need to tick a box called ‘I understand and agree’ before continuing with their online claim

[ Edited: 4 Jun 2020 at 10:43 am by Daphne ]
Keith S Adviser
forum member

Kirkham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 63

That smells dangerous to me, how many claimants who are not receiving support of an advocate or advice agency, will understand this question and the potential complications and loss of income this may have ?

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

You can see that screen just after clicking ‘Start’ here: https://www.universal-credit.service.gov.uk/register/legacy-to-uc-confirmation

“These benefits will end if you or your partner makes a claim for Universal Credit, even if the claim is not approved.

You understand that if you or your partner make a claim, any benefits you get now that are replaced by Universal Credit will stop. You will not be able to submit a new claim for the benefits that have stopped.”

I wonder if DWPs purpose with this is just to gear up for a ‘you were informed’ argument against rolling people back on legacy.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

DWP have been under criticism for not making the consequences of claiming in terms of existing benefit claims clear. This appears to be an attempt to address this. I’m not sure we should be straining to view it as somehow malicious.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

I think it’s a good move generally but we are going to ask them to include an additional warning for PC claimants as we’ve had a couple of cases where people have lost out here as well due to ill-advised UC claims being made.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

Sally did just that at the stakeholder call with DWP this morning…

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Daphne - 04 June 2020 12:44 PM

Sally did just that at the stakeholder call with DWP this morning…

Thanks Daphne (and Sally of course).