Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Self Employed Income Support Scheme and sickness (not COVID 19related )

BakerK
forum member

Financial Inclusion - Housing Landlord Services, BCP Council

Send message

Total Posts: 34

I have received an enquiry from a person who was not able work as a self employed Electrician from lockdown He has put in a claim for Universal Credit . He was been informed he will not obtain any UC until end of June due to earnings   . He has recently been involved in a motor bike accident which will now prevent him from returning to Self Employed work If he submits a claim to SEISS will they back date to March but only pay until Motor incident . I believe ESA will also be a consideration ?

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

If he has been unable to work up to now due to COVID-19 then he is eligible for SEISS (if he meets the financial qualifying conditions in rest of previous earnings). If he claims he gets whatever the calculation says based on his previous tax returns - there is no adjustment for different time periods. SEISS is then taken into account as earnings for UC.

New style ESA is a possibility provided he has paid his NI contributions for 2017-18 and 2018-19. Any ESA will be deducted in full from UC.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1411

If he is not intending to return to work in the 20-21 tax year at the point of claiming, then I don’t think he can claim SEISS.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Charles - 03 June 2020 11:32 AM

If he is not intending to return to work in the 20-21 tax year at the point of claiming, then I don’t think he can claim SEISS.

I overlooked that. The answer then depends on how long he expects the accident to keep him off work. If it will be longer than 9 months he will be excluded.

BakerK
forum member

Financial Inclusion - Housing Landlord Services, BCP Council

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Thank you to you both , very helpful.