to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Children and childcare  →  Thread

16 yo continuing in education for Tax Credits

Elliott S
forum member

Welfare reform team - Grand Union Housing Group, Bedfordshire

Send message

Total Posts: 34

I have a client who has a 16 yo in last year of education and enrolled on a non-advanced course of education next academic year. Therefore, there should continue to be entitled to Child Tax Credits and relevant additions to Working Tax Creditrs. Their latest award letter shows these stopping as of end of August despite her having already reported the child’s enrolment.

She rang HMRC to query and was advised that they were already aware and she would receive another award letter at any time up to the end of August confirming the benefit is continuing.

I find this rather strange. This same letter is quite happy to predict payments in 2021/22 based on information HMRC knows to be incorrect. I don’t understand why they don’t just change it now? I realise it shouldn’t make any difference to current payment rate but it is causing anxiety that this will stop come September despite her having reported 16yo continuing in education multiple times.

Has anyone else come across this?

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1411

Yes, this is how the tax credits computer system deals with this. I see this the whole time.

Elliott S
forum member

Welfare reform team - Grand Union Housing Group, Bedfordshire

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Charles - 02 June 2020 10:55 AM

Yes, this is how the tax credits computer system deals with this. I see this the whole time.

Ok thanks, that’s really good to know its common.