to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Regional differences and outcomes

Keith S Adviser
forum member

Kirkham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 63

It would appear that there is some concern about the differences in success rates for both appeals and telephone assessments,  especially where it is felt that the client may have had a more successful outcome under the old system. From client feedback, it appears postponements have increased, on a variety of grounds, some assessments are rushed and one case where it would appear, tribunal ‘did not understand client’.

Any thoughts, views, feedback welcome.

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 291

Probably not enough cases for a generalisation, but I’ve had five appeals decided since lockdown started, all successful. Two were conceded by the DWP (one on grounds of “compassion” which is a new one on me!), one following a telephone hearing and two following paper “hearings” which were initiated by the tribunal (ie the tribunal decided entirely in the client’s favour without asking the client if they agreed to a paper hearing). judges were from various centres in the South of England.

grant
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 71

It seems to be working well here in Sefton (Liverpool Tribunal venue). We started doing phone hearings (where appropriate) on 25/03/2020. There were some technical problems early on and we had nothing listed between 09/04 and 05/05. Otherwise our records for phone hearings from the start of the lock down to yesterday show 27 appeals won, 2 lost, 3 adjourned and 1 transferred to another venue. All clients were represented in person.

Keith S Adviser
forum member

Kirkham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 63

Excellent, many thanks

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

I may start a new thread for this, but can I ask: have people encountered delays in getting successful decisions implemented?

Our client has won a UT appeal (DWP conceded the point), ESA have advised us that no appeals work of any sort is now being done, so there is [no] timescale to tell us when the decision might be looked at and implemented. Meanwhile, client has nil income.

edit: a word

[ Edited: 1 Jun 2020 at 12:15 pm by Jon (CANY) ]
stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 868

i havent had a single case listed. had 3 scheduled the week of lockdown and all postponed with nothing since.

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

We have had 3 cases listed

First case, we did not get invited to the call - it also seems client did not ask them why we were not on the call, appeal refused. We have both complained and asked for a set aside.

Second case, we have only found out listed as we chased the client, no contact at all from HMCTS by email or letter - though they are aware we are the REPS as they sent us two emails, when registered the appeal and when DWP issued their response - we have complained to ask why not contacted

Third case, listed for next Monday

All of the above are with Sutton