Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

News from uncle DWP

Keith S Adviser
forum member

Kirkham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 63

Dear all,

I hope you’re keeping well in these very strange times. 

You will be aware that we have been making a number of temporary changes in PIP to ensure we continue to provide the support that people need and allow safe access to our services.  Things have been moving quickly as we have responded to the challenges of Covid-19.  We thought it might be helpful to summarise a few key changes that have been made as a result of the crisis. 

New claims continue to be processed.
We have extended the deadline to return the PIP2 to three months.
Change of circumstances continue to be processed.  If someone has a change in their needs, they should notify us immediately so that we can ensure that they have the correct level of award.
All face-to-face assessments have been suspended.  Where possible and in line with usual processes, a paper-based assessment will be undertaken.  If needed, a telephone-based assessment will be conducted. Both providers have been conducting telephone assessments for the last few weeks.
It is now possible for individuals to receive and return the PIP2 form electronically after the initial call to the Department.  Supporting evidence can also be submitted electronically, at the same time as the PIP2. 
All awards that are coming up for a review soon will be automatically extended. Payments will continue and we will be in touch about a review in due course.
For anyone who is currently claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and who has been invited to claim PIP, no action is needed now.  DLA payments will continue and we will be in touch in the future to discuss the claim to PIP. 

Finally, we are particularly keen to gather any feedback on the telephone-based assessments to understand how it is working in practice. Next week we plan to send you a short, informal survey asking for your views.  It would be immensely helpful if you’re able to share any insight with us please.

We will continue to keep you updated with regard to any further changes as soon as possible.

With very best wishes,

Molly

DWP | PIP Stakeholders | http://www.gov.uk/dwp

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

It is now possible for individuals to receive and return the PIP2 form electronically after the initial call to the Department.  Supporting evidence can also be submitted electronically, at the same time as the PIP2.

Has anyone any more details on how this works? Do you set up a gov account that you can log back in to?

Keith S Adviser
forum member

Kirkham CAB

Send message

If you scroll down there is a thread entitled online PIP 2, with a copy of the form from Advice shop

Chrissum
forum member

WRAMAS, Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Hi Jon
The problem is they haven’t provided an e-mail address. I think the idea is you get it when you have gone through the PIP1 and you can only use one e-mail address to connect to it (presumably taken at the PIP1 stage). I’m sure further guidance will be issued once they have written it!

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

I’ve just had an email via stakeholder forum which says -

Customers who can use the digital service will be identified during the PIP1 initial call. They receive an email containing information and guidance on accessing the PDF PIP2 and links to download a blank version and then upload a completed version, along with any other supporting evidence they need to submit.

NAI
forum member

Unclaimed Benefits Campaign, Middlesbrough CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 131

Daphne - 19 May 2020 09:01 AM

Customers who can use the digital service will be identified during the PIP1 initial call. They receive an email containing information and guidance on accessing the PDF PIP2 and links to download a blank version and then upload a completed version, along with any other supporting evidence they need to submit.

Daphne, can you find out if this can be accessed by advisers so they can assist clients who CANNOT use the digital service by telephone? We currently do this for Carers Allowance, State Pension and Pension Credit claims and this is very useful given the lack of face-to-face services during the COVID-19 crisis.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Do you mean could the adviser use their email on the initial PIP1 so that they can then submit the PIP2 and evidence from that email?

annief
forum member

Benefits adviser - Maggie's Centre, Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 106

Daphne - 19 May 2020 10:00 AM

Do you mean could the adviser use their email on the initial PIP1 so that they can then submit the PIP2 and evidence from that email?

can the claimant forward the email to the adviser for them to complete, then return to them to submit from their email address?

NAI
forum member

Unclaimed Benefits Campaign, Middlesbrough CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 131

Daphne - 19 May 2020 10:00 AM

No, if they use an email, the client probably has some digital capability. It would be better if all client’s paper forms or covering letter had a reference number that would allow advisers to help using an online version. I guess that we’ll just have to continue to talk clients through the form for now.

I’ve had to do a few of these during the lockdown.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Sorry - I wasn’t clear - I meant use the adviser’s email. In fact a colleagues has just sent an email to the stakeholder group asking -

Could you ask colleagues in PIP whether any of the following are possible

- claimant phones PIP to register the email address of trusted representative to allow trusted representative to assist them to complete the PIP 2 and / or send evidence electronically

At present we encounter difficulties supporting our most vulnerable claimants because PIP will only send the PIP 2 to the claimant’s address, even in cases where the claimant is temporarily in hospital or a care home and consent to the form being sent elsewhere.

We need a solution that support health and social agencies to send evidence securely electronically and complete the PIP 2 remotely where the service users is digitally excluded.

Hopefully if they can find a solution to that that will help you NAI?

annief - i think that would work if your client can manage that

Keith S Adviser
forum member

Kirkham CAB

Send message

I have just received the following link to online PIP 2 form, however, no information and not sure how this is linked to PIP 1.  Assuming that it is entirely electronic, how are those who cannot access PIP 2 in this manner going to benefit from this ?

https://digitalpip.lexisnexisrolfoundation.org/ 

Mark
forum member

Money Advice Team - Walsall Housing Group, West Midlands

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Just a thought, but does anyone know if we can use the online PIP2 form (from the link above) to complete for a client and then send the client the printed online form, which they can send with their paper form

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 470

Daphne - 19 May 2020 09:01 AM

Jumping in here to say I made a PIP claim about a month ago and the call handler had never heard of this and although she went to speak to a supervisor and offered to email me something, it never happened and I just received a PIP2 through the post. Also there is no mention in the letter accompanying the PIP2 that the return date is extended, it just gave the usual month. Which had become 3 weeks by the time I received the PIP2 as usual.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

A bit of info via stakeholders on the electronic PIP2 - clarifies that it is only being trialled on a small scale and not widely available

File Attachments

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Notes from the PIP forum on 10 November says -

- An HTML version of the PIP2 went live on 9th November. Apply for PIP (PIP2) service is a dynamic online service with the facility to save and resume and upload evidence documents securely and will meet accessibility requirements.
- Apply for PIP (PIP2) is a private beta launch. In the first two weeks, we will offer the service to 10 people per day, so that we can monitor that the service and business processes are working as expected. We then intend to increase
the offer to 90 per day and will continue to work with stakeholders to develop a recommended approach to further scaling.
- As this service is the minimum viable product, we will continue to iterate the service based on continued user research, service data and feedback to improve the service. We will also be looking to widen the offering to further user groups as at present it is only offered to claimants who have access to an email address and are confident that they can complete the PIP2 online.