Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Tax credits no conference calls

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 226

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has good links with Tax Credits escalation. We are primarily phone based which has obviously increased even more in light of Covid. HMRC broadly refuse to allow conference calls . When I’ve pressed before, I was told it could be a recorded message on the other line and therefore is a security risk. Today a colleague was not allowed to speak to a manager.

There is the back up of submitting the online TC689, but this obviously takes a least 48 hours to be processed (possibly longer in current climate).

The circumstance is a client with a disabled child whose TCs recently stopped and we need to get it re-started as soon as possible.

Grateful for any thoughts or contacts.

Edit: Just to say this relates to both advisers line, and the normal helpline.

[ Edited: 30 Apr 2020 at 04:32 pm by Rebecca Lough ]
Pete at CAB
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser’ for Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Total Posts: 390

You could register with HMRC as an intermediary organisation. I did this in a previous job and although it was a bit of a faff to get it done it was very useful once it was complete

https://www.gov.uk/getting-help-with-your-tax-credits-claim/authorisation

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

Rebecca Lough - 30 April 2020 04:24 PM

When I’ve pressed before, I was told it could be a recorded message on the other line and therefore is a security risk.

I’m sorry, is this just isolation induced delirium or is that an actual thing which a real human has said?

RichB
forum member

WRO - City of Edinburgh Council

Send message

Total Posts: 33

This just in from HMRC- In the interests of national security all callers will be subject to a Turing Test

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 466

Elliot Kent - 30 April 2020 05:36 PM
Rebecca Lough - 30 April 2020 04:24 PM

When I’ve pressed before, I was told it could be a recorded message on the other line and therefore is a security risk.

I’m sorry, is this just isolation induced delirium or is that an actual thing which a real human has said?

Were you really surprised? Has the sudden spate of DWP & HMRC being nice to people -for the first time in a while- wiped clean your memory of the last decade?