Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Jobs Retention Scheme - Carers Allowance

Dark Magician
forum member

The Disability Law Service

Send message

Total Posts: 11

Hi,

Does anyone know of any DWP or HMRC guidance in regards to how a payment under the Jobs Retention Scheme payment will affect eligibility for Carers Allowance?

Universal Credit has stated that any amount will be seen as tax deductible, will this same principle apply towards Carers Allowance - £128 per week before expenses.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

I am not clear what your question is.

The Job Retention Scheme is a scheme for the employer to recover wage costs from the government.

The money received by a employee is a wage regardless of how the employer sources the funds to pay it. If the amount they receve is over £128 they are not eligible for CA.

I don’t understand what you mean by UC saying a payment under the JRS is tax deductible.

Dark Magician
forum member

The Disability Law Service

Send message

Total Posts: 11

Ianb - 03 May 2020 07:41 PM

I am not clear what your question is.

The Job Retention Scheme is a scheme for the employer to recover wage costs from the government.

The money received by a employee is a wage regardless of how the employer sources the funds to pay it. If the amount they receve is over £128 they are not eligible for CA.

I don’t understand what you mean by UC saying a payment under the JRS is tax deductible.

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for you reply.