to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Mixed age couples again; new entrant to UK

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 468

Does this lot look right? I’m doubting myself!

Wifey comes to join hubby who’s over State Pension Age; wifey is non EEA but is hab res and has a right to reside as EEA hubby’s spouse.  It looks to me like hubby can join wifey to his PC claim; it isn’t a new claim, just a change of circs, but they can’t claim HB as they’re mixed age.. HB is not in payment at the moment (curses!)Son and daughter in law have also joined the household.

The standard allowance for UC plus LHA for their area, minus two non deps, are within a few quid of couple rate PC. Slightly better off on PC. They can stay on PC, yeah?

Then again, if hubby has LCWRA I can;t see anything to stop hubby; over SPA from receiving the LCWRAE; in which case they’re better off on UC. yeah?

So many permutations and it’s past wine o’clock; my head hurts!

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Dan Manville - 30 April 2020 05:52 PM

Wifey comes to join hubby who’s over State Pension Age; wifey is non EEA but is hab res and has a right to reside as EEA hubby’s spouse.  It looks to me like hubby can join wifey to his PC claim; it isn’t a new claim, just a change of circs,

Surely if a single pensioner claiming PC forms a couple with a working age partner they lose their Pension Credit.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/housing-benefit-adjudication-circulars-2019/a32018-mixed-age-couples-changes-to-entitlement-conditions-from-15-may-2019#single-pensioners-who-form-a-mixed-age-couple
“Single pensioners who form a mixed age couple
8. If a single pensioner forms a couple with a person below the qualifying age on or after 15 May 2019, entitlement to pension age Housing Benefit and Pension Credit will end.”

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 468

Ianb - 30 April 2020 06:10 PM
Dan Manville - 30 April 2020 05:52 PM

Wifey comes to join hubby who’s over State Pension Age; wifey is non EEA but is hab res and has a right to reside as EEA hubby’s spouse.  It looks to me like hubby can join wifey to his PC claim; it isn’t a new claim, just a change of circs,

Surely if a single pensioner claiming PC forms a couple with a working age partner they lose their Pension Credit.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/housing-benefit-adjudication-circulars-2019/a32018-mixed-age-couples-changes-to-entitlement-conditions-from-15-may-2019#single-pensioners-who-form-a-mixed-age-couple
“Single pensioners who form a mixed age couple
8. If a single pensioner forms a couple with a person below the qualifying age on or after 15 May 2019, entitlement to pension age Housing Benefit and Pension Credit will end.”

Thank you.