Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

PIP assessments during COVID-19

ZoeHBF
forum member

Welfare and Housing, Helen Bamber Foundation (London)

Send message

Total Posts: 81

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing OK and staying safe. I was wondering, I know that PIP reassessments are paused, but about new PIP claims, I only know that face-to-face assessments have been cancelled, and alternative arrangements will be made (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/face-to-face-health-assessments-for-benefits-suspended-amid-coronavirus-outbreak). Does anyone have any more information than this? I work with asylum seekers and refugees, and so a fair few of our clients newly granted refugee status have applied for PIP which they desperately need and the DWP have had their questionnaires for a fair while now, but not sure how to push for some kind of assessment.

Best wishes

Zoe

Dcgo250
forum member

Coventry Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 3

They are doing telephone assessments. The client should get a letter notifying them about this at least 7 days before the assessment date. Capita West Midlands held an Stakeholder Meeting last week to update partner agencies.

Lid26
forum member

Disability Advice Service East Suffolk

Send message

Total Posts: 27

Dcgo250

Do you have any specific reference that confirms that there must be a letter giving 7 days notice? Some of our clients have been phoned up out of the blue without any warning or of course being able to prepare.

Thanks,

Lid26

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

It’s the The Social Security (Personal Independence Payment) Regulations 2013, Reg 9:

2) Subject to paragraph (3), where C fails without good reason to attend for or participate in a consultation referred to in paragraph (1), a negative determination must be made.

(3) Paragraph (2) does not apply unless —

(a)written notice of the date, time and, where applicable, place for, the consultation is sent to C at least 7 days in advance; or
(b)C agrees, whether in writing or otherwise, to accept a shorter period of notice of those matters.
(4) In paragraph (3), reference to written notice includes notice sent by electronic communication where C has agreed to accept correspondence in that way and ‘electronic communication’ has the meaning given in section 15(1) of the Electronic Communications Act 2000(1).

CPAG 19-20 at p.761 says that the rule does not apply if you accept notice by phone.