to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Can anybody check for accuracy please?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

I have produced a document re Cornonavirus and Welfare Rights to assist my colleagues, none of whom are WR workers (support workers, project workers, etc.). Therefore, it is not meant to be too technical, more of a general overview of what is going on and what has changed. Much of the info has been sourced from rightsnet of course, where would I be without it? As I was updating it today I thought that I really should put it on our website to assist service users and the wider public. It is Calderdale focussed but much of it applies nationally.

Before I do I would be really grateful if anybody can take the time to have a read through and let me know if there are any inaccuracies or bits that are misleading, etc? I have found it pretty hard to keep up with everything that has been going on, as I am sure we all have. All and any comments, criticism, suggestions, amendments and additions much welcomed.

Many thanks in advance. Billy

Edit - attachment removed

[ Edited: 15 Apr 2020 at 05:01 pm by BC Welfare Rights ]
BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

With apologies to anyone who has already read it, an updated version (mainly to include stuff about bank loans and overdrafts and a bit of a tidy up)

Attachment removed again and added below

[ Edited: 16 Apr 2020 at 11:00 am by BC Welfare Rights ]
Mr Jim
forum member

Asylum & Roma Team, Social Work Services, Glasgow City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 134

Billy,

You haven’t mentioned anything about NS-JSA. Lots of workers will be entitled to claim this when laid off.

Jim

Mr Jim
forum member

Asylum & Roma Team, Social Work Services, Glasgow City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 134

Should have said when paid off.

Jim

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 233

Just on the last paragraph on the first page -
It’s my understanding that when appellants have requested an oral hearing, but their appeal is looked at on the papers, a provisional decision will be made.  It is only if either side don’t object that it is then re-issued as a binding decision.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Thanks Helen, I’ve amended. I will get round to adding NS JSA at some point.
I have updated again after all the changes yesterday

File Attachments

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

I made something similar for Community Renewal, and I’ve found it difficult to keep on top of everything as well - relieved to see that our compilations are pretty similar 😛

There’s been some easement around the rule for providing care and claiming CA in Scotland, can’t remember if I read this applies to England as well.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 551

Thanks for this - I know you put it on to check for accuracy and I think it is (although there are changes, such as ESA claim on-line announced today all the time)  but it is a great resource for us because so well organised and with the web links for further information.

Darran
forum member

Kirklees Benefits Advice Service, Huddersfield

Send message

Total Posts: 18

Hi Brunswick Centre
As a result of the pandemic the Kirklees Council Tax Reduction (CTR) has been amended for 2020/21 to make it more generous. Foe example someone who is on UC as a jobseekers can now qualify for a 100% reduction as opposed to the previous 80% maximum. This is regardless of the £150 reduction of bills that central government announced for people getting CTR.

bigbill
forum member

Dumfries Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 127

Don’t recognise the new 0800 tax credit number given and when I called it does not seem to be the right number for TC the old one still seems right, worth double checking?