to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Housing Benefit and Wifi Service Charges

sgibson
forum member

Money Wise Team - Anchor Hanover, Oxford

Send message

Total Posts: 5

I’m wondering if anyone could please provide any information on whether provision of Wifi would be an eligible or ineligible service charge for HB?

Reading between the lines in the guidance I am guessing that provision of Wifi such as fibre cabinets etc. could possibly be an eligible service charge just as provision of TV Aerials etc. would be eligible but the actual Wifi cost would be ineligible?

It would be useful to know if anyone has previously had a decision on this and can provide any clarity.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Can’t see it. Is it a condition of occupation?

UC explicitly excludes internet connection for communal areas so it’s hard to see why it would then include wi-fi.

sgibson
forum member

Money Wise Team - Anchor Hanover, Oxford

Send message

Total Posts: 5

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I am looking at HB regs not UC. I wouldn’t expect it to be included under UC Housing Costs for the reasons you say.

I can see that the likely answer is no but if anyone has any actual experience of this it would be really helpful.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

sgibson - 27 April 2020 01:03 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I am looking at HB regs not UC. I wouldn’t expect it to be included under UC Housing Costs for the reasons you say.

I can see that the likely answer is no but if anyone has any actual experience of this it would be really helpful.

I was looking under both.