to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

New claims for Personal Independence payment /Attendance Allowance

BakerK
forum member

Financial Inclusion - Housing Landlord Services, BCP Council

Send message

Total Posts: 34

I have tenants who have recently requested claim forms for PIP/Attendance Allowance . They would normally have a face to face appointment to receive help with completing the form . If the form is not completed until a future appointment can be made , will the benefit be back dated , if PIP/Attendance Allowance awarded ? I can assist via telephone with the forms but concerned regarding detail, evidence etc

Carolyn McA
forum member

Adviser, Citizens Advice and Rights Fife

Send message

Total Posts: 53

If they phoned to request the forms, the claims will be dated from the date of the phone call. The deadlines for return of forms were extended to three months - you/your clients can check that this is still in force by listening to the recorded message on the PIP enquiry line 0800 212 4433.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

We’ve been in touch with DWP about AA claim forms for similar reasons and they’ve told us this.

We asked about relaxing the rules around the 6 week limit to return the claim form for AA. DWP responded to say “With regards to the return of AA claim forms, we have introduced an immediate easement, to support flexibility on dates for returning claim forms. This will ensure no customer will be disadvantaged due to self-isolation guidance. To support us in delivering this change, we would appreciate if you could note the claim form advising there has been a delay in its return due to Covid-19, this will support and speed up the decision making process.”

Anjela Jones
forum member

Welfare benefits service - Cambridgeshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 3

we are using the DWP online form to complete over the phone, but have an issue with saving and printing them as they are getting corrupted. Anyone else having the same problem?

Brian Fletcher
forum member

Welfare Rights, Wigan & Leigh Carers Centre, Wigan

Send message

Total Posts: 101

Simplified PIP form is available at

https://digitalpip.lexisnexisrolfoundation.org/

Useful video about how to submit the form on the page.

Still that doesn’t help with evidence and we have been sending them out to client’s advising them to attach their evidence with form when they post. I considered submitting a GDPR request to the GP for medical notes and consultant or other reports. I dismissed the idea fairly quickly given that GP’s have got to be dealing with enough at the minute.

AA forms, we’ve just been doing the same as everyone else.

I did have someone ring up last week to complain I had spelled her name wrong after spending two hours detailing her needs :-)

[ Edited: 27 Apr 2020 at 03:09 pm by Brian Fletcher ]
Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Brian Fletcher - 27 April 2020 03:04 PM

I did have someone ring up last week to complain I had spelled her name wrong after spending two hours detailing her needs :-)

Trying not to laugh.

I did an SDP challenge for someone. Involved a very tightly argued case set out over many pages etc.

Client came back and had highlighted every instance where I’d misspelt “separate”.

As someone once said, “whatever gets you through the night”.

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 27 April 2020 10:06 AM

We’ve been in touch with DWP about AA claim forms for similar reasons and they’ve told us this.

We asked about relaxing the rules around the 6 week limit to return the claim form for AA. DWP responded to say “With regards to the return of AA claim forms, we have introduced an immediate easement, to support flexibility on dates for returning claim forms. This will ensure no customer will be disadvantaged due to self-isolation guidance. To support us in delivering this change, we would appreciate if you could note the claim form advising there has been a delay in its return due to Covid-19, this will support and speed up the decision making process.”

Has anyone received confirmation that the easement also applies to new DLA claims?

Den DANES
forum member

DIAL Lowestoft and Waveney

Send message

Total Posts: 110

Simplified PIP form is available at

https://digitalpip.lexisnexisrolfoundation.org/

Useful video about how to submit the form on the page.

Still that doesn’t help with evidence and we have been sending them out to client’s advising them to attach their evidence with form when they post. I considered submitting a GDPR request to the GP for medical notes and consultant or other reports. I dismissed the idea fairly quickly given that GP’s have got to be dealing with enough at the minute.

AA forms, we’ve just been doing the same as everyone else.

Can anyone use the digital PIP form as above ? Just checking there are no copyright issues.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Given that it’s likely they’ll have to wait a long time for health assessments, I’ve considered the option of delaying evidence requests for now, until pressure eases, or they are called in, whichever comes first.

Obviously comes with the concern that DM makes a decision before evidence arrives, and I don’t know of any process around this, other than reminding DWP that evidence is forthcoming.

Generally prefer requesting supporting letters, over SARs, and this obviously gives you the option of saying ‘please respond when you have time’ (and chase if needed), rather than imposing strict deadlines. Of course some surgeries categorically refuses to respond, or insists on charging => SAR
Although, I’m also concerned that C-19 would be valid grounds for delayed responses to SARs…