to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Child care difficulties and New Style JSA

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 551

I have a client who is on unpaid leave at present because she cannot work because of child care difficulties. (She is normally a care worker but her hours are in the evening, not during school hours). Could she claim New-style JSA on the basis that she is ready to work during school hours (assuming she would be a key worker at that time)?  I think she meets the contribution conditions. She has No Recourse to Public Funds, so no access to Universal Credit.  I have signposted her to Immigration Advice as there may be a chance of having her condition of leave varied, but in the meantime, I cannot see access to any other benefit.  What do people think?

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

furlough?

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

I will look again at the furlough rules but I thought they might not work where someone is actually needed to work, but can’t currently because she has lost her child care (done by relatives)

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

My client was awarded new-style JSA on the basis that she cannot work without child care. But I have since seen somewhere that people in this situation can also be furloughed which would be a better option for her.