Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

New LHA rates for existing HB claims

SamW
forum member

Lambeth Every Pound Counts

Send message

Total Posts: 430

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Just wondering if anyone could help explain how the recent LHA increases should apply to existing claims for HB.

I’ve a couple of clients whose HB has gone up but only by a small amount to the ‘pre-coronavirus’ proposed rate for LHA.

I had a look last week at the HB regs and at the DWP guidance to LAs and as far as I could tell they were both saying that each April somebody’s LHA should go up to the updated rate. Although the regs were a little bit impenetrable and I may well have misunderstood them. But this does not seem to be what our Revs and Bens department are doing. I had initially assumed that they were just getting round to adjusting the system to reflect the new rates. But what has me a bit worried is that the online LHA calculator is saying that if a claim started before April 2020 people will get a much lower rate than those making new claims. So I’m a bit confused and any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

The Social Security (Coronavirus) (Further Measures) Regulations 2020 seem to make amendments at reg 4 to say that the new determinations made on 31 March 2020 take effect from 1 April 2020 - as far as I can see…

andyrichards
forum member

City services - Brighton and Hove City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 204

...and crucially, that they “take the place of” the determinations made on 31 January (which was the date on which the original 1st April figures were set).  Whether the claim was made pre or post April is irrelevant.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 454

Our Revs & Bens service here is telling claimants “You don’t need to contact us about this change.  We’ll recalculate your Housing Benefit award automatically and any additional payment will be made on 27 April 2020.” (https://www.bristol.gov.uk/benefits-financial-help/local-housing-allowance). I assume this delay is software related so likely to be occurring elsewhere.

andyrichards
forum member

City services - Brighton and Hove City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 204

I just had a look at Lambeth’s website.  It looks like they link to the LHA Calculator provided by the Valuation Office.  This is old (still got “Directgov” at the top!).  It is a little misleading in that it asks the user to input the month and year in which their claim started.  It then provides the rates which applied in that month.  Never occurred to me before, but one could infer from this that this is “your” rate for the duration of your claim.

My LA also links to this site and I suspect many do.  This probably needs looking at, as date of claim hasn’t really been relevant to the determination of the LHA at a given point in time for years now.

SamW
forum member

Lambeth Every Pound Counts

Send message

Total Posts: 430

Brilliant thanks all for getting back so quickly and for being super helpful as always. Will enquire with Revs and Bens now I’m more confident of how things are supposed to be working!

Thanks again and have a lovely afternoon 😊

S

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 551

This has been really helpoful. Ive also been wondering what id happening to our local rates which on yhe LA website are only up by a tiny amount.  Ruth

EJ
forum member

Benefits advice line - Coventry City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 111

Our Bens Technical Team have confirmed they are waiting on the software testing and tell me they plan to run through a mass recalculation when it’s ready.