Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

New style ESA and how to claim

1 2 > 

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 551

There will be many people both self-employed and employed who should be entitled to New Style ESA because they have the contribution record but are now self-isolating, caring for someone who has the virus.  But how do they claim? The form is easily accessible on the internet but they cannot claim on line, and if Jobcentres are closed they can’t bring it in to the Jobcentre.  There is no address that I can see on the form. 

Many of these people will either not be entitled to UC or it is advisable for them not to claim it (for instance self-employed people -  the MIF suspension won’t last for ever!), so it should not be linked into the online UC claim in any way.  The continuation of WTC is dependent on their making the ESA claim.  So does anyone have any idea as to the advice on how they make that claim?

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

‘So does anyone have any idea as to the advice on how they make that claim’?

Haven’t a clue!

We first posed the question to the DWP UC operations supremo in Dorset 16th March i.e. Monday last week highlighting the obvious i.e. no postal address and the subsequent interviews at jobcentre!

Nothing back on the above! Just the response we posted in another post re suspending conditionality Covid 19 etc.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Don’t want to overload you Daphne but is this something you will need to raise with DWP?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

Happy for you to give me stuff Ruth :) - I emailed them about it a week ago (they are trying to get a responses!) and have also raised with the Work and Pensions Committee for their evidence session with Therese Coffey tomorrow and with the APPG on UC (even tho not exactly UC but links in).

I’m hoping the evidence session tomorrow might push things a bit

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

From other threads claims are being taken by phone (sorry I can’t find where I read that now) - but that means claimants have to get through which is obviously a problem in itself.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Daphne - 24 March 2020 04:26 PM

Happy for you to give me stuff Ruth :) - I emailed them about it a week ago (they are trying to get a responses!) and have also raised with the Work and Pensions Committee for their evidence session with Therese Coffey tomorrow and with the APPG on UC (even tho not exactly UC but links in).

I’m hoping the evidence session tomorrow might push things a bit

Just received a reply from our local Partnership team. They just say phone the contact centre. They don’t appear to appreciate they simply send out a claim form, not take the full claim by phone. Whilst the new claim interview etc. will now take place by phone (and partnership advise JCP will now contact the claimant to arrange) there appears to be no means to get to that point in the claim process!

If a claimant has downloaded the claim form from Gov.uk partnership team advise them to post it to the local Jobcentre (but of course there is no link on Gov.uk for a claimant to get the correct address.

Gov.uk is still advising ESA claimant to call the contact centre to arrange an interview.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Thanks Daphne. It will be interesting to see if there is an answer tomorrow. The local JObcentre might not be a bad idea as they will be closed for most day to day work so could probably process the paper claim

Susannah Fayers
forum member

Generalist adviser - Camden CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 32

Long post. Bear with. Bedtime story.

Don’t know if this helps ‘re getting NSESA claims lodged at first stage but pre covid, and wearing a different hat, had complicated case where someone made homeless through losing their live in carer role when had brain tumour. Lost capacity, lost or couldn’t access any ID and about 12 moves between wards/ hospitals long stay.

Unable to make NSESA claim themselves and no appointee. Family member acted as proxy ( reluctantly) and we ‘persuaded the claim line to take the claim using hospital as home address. Then completed NSESAF1 and decided given complicated situation to send it with fit note to the job centre nearest the hospital. With covering letter. As knew verification process would be nightmare .

And of course no JCP address given to send form to plus required visiting officer to go to hospital and get the non existent ID from a claimant assessed as having no capacity. In a coma at times.

Rationale being if we send rec delivery and regardless of process dept wants to run , technically ANY JCP could accept .

Didn’t want claimant to lose out because situation so complicated in number of ways. Decided that what we were doing was technically within regulations just outside policy. Asked them to bypass policy.

JCP we sent to decided that different centre should deal but DID send on AND registered claim. As moved across London hospitals so did claim.

Long way round to get decision but turns out maybe can send to any JCP and they seem to accept had duty to register claim from that date. Put onus on them to offer verification appt through a route different to what they wanted albeit we could argue Equality Act.

Wondering given DWP now completely overwhelmed if claimants just posted the claim form recorded delivery to wherever their local JCP may be. Confirming claim and asking JCP to forward to correct cte if it’s wrong. And request verification interview ( however now done).

Plus side = claim received so protects and JCP then have to act. Minus side = bypassing what is now meant to be in place adds time to process.  Especially now. Just was only way through in this case given rigidity of system. Thought would do own thing because couldn’t bang head on phone any longer.

Would like to hear more about any online verification process going on now as we argued DWP could easily do this anyway w/out demands being made on incapacitated claimant. And they did in the end. Took 8 weeks and 3 x different JCPs but got there .

Just don’t ask me the bit about JCP visiting ICU and trying to verify with pt in a coma on ventilator…..

Apols so long.

LouisePowysCA
forum member

Adviser, Citizens Advice Powys

Send message

Total Posts: 1

I was given this address by the DWP new claims line yesterday, to post NSESA1 forms to:
Freepost, DWP, ESA6

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

Just received from partnership manager:

New Style ESA – yes you’re right the form is normally sent out to the claimant but I’ve been told by our Partnership Adviser that if a claimant has not yet filled out the form when the call is made the telephone agent will ask them if they are happy to complete the form over the phone and tells them it will take 30 mins – if they are happy they will then proceed.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Thanks, that is really useful.  We will have self-employed clients who have to self-isolated and they are currently on tax credits.  So long as we can show they have started their claim (and bearing in mind the possibility of backdating) we can reassure them about staying on tax credits and not moving to UC which could be quite disastrous.  I am tending to go for the written form and posting it (with a copy to us perhaps) rather than the telephone because I should imagine it is still very hard to get through.

Susannah Fayers
forum member

Send message

LouisePowysCA - 25 March 2020 10:16 AM

I was given this address by the DWP new claims line yesterday, to post NSESA1 forms to:
Freepost, DWP, ESA6

Many thanks that’s really helpful

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

Susannah Fayers - 25 March 2020 07:23 PM

Freepost, DWP, ESA6

The ESA freepost number is for a specific processing centre. If your area is not covered by 6 don’t send the claim form there! For example our area is covered by ESA27.

A list of the freepost addresses was posted on Rightsnet - I’m sure someone will add the link!

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

we have just received this update from partnership team re claim process for ESA

The contingency claim process will be:

“Customer calls 08003285644 number to make the claim. Dependent on staffing levels they will be given the option to complete the NSESAF1 form at that stage or if this will be for the local jobcentre to pick up to call customer to complete the form. The adviser will explain to the customer that it will take up to 30 minutes to do on the phone. If the customer agrees then they will continue. If the customer can’t manage this then a call back at a convenient time will be arranged.”

No information about how a claimant should now submit a ‘fit note’ (I assume they will be given the appropriate freepost address during the claim interview?).

This suggests a claimant should no longer download and complete the claim form and then phone for a new claim appointment (which would now be a telephone appt.) or send it to the relevant freepost address and then expect DWP to initiate a call back new claim telephone interview.

Dear DWP spybot - if you are going to introduce a contingency claim process (and we all understand why) surely the first step would be to update Gov.uk so there is not confusion about the current ESA claim options?

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Peter Turville - 26 March 2020 12:22 PM

A list of the freepost addresses was posted on Rightsnet - I’m sure someone will add the link!

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/15183/

Anita Wall
forum member

Welfare rights - Staffordshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 9

I have 2 clients who are deaf with no speech, they communicate using BSL. How can they claim new style ESA, Universal Credit ?

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Daphne - 26 March 2020 01:40 PM

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/15183/

I had the same concern as Peter, but my lists of the freepost addresses, and some I found in FOIs, and this one, do not list ESA 6.

Is it an disused address that DWP have started using again for this purpose perhaps? I feel like I’ve posted something to it in the past, will check my records.

Susannah Fayers
forum member

Send message

Susannah Fayers - 25 March 2020 07:23 PM

Freepost, DWP, ESA6

The ESA freepost number is for a specific processing centre. If your area is not covered by 6 don’t send the claim form there! For example our area is covered by ESA27.

Hi.
What we actually did in case referred to was post it directly to the JCP building address nearest the claimants address ( in this case a hospital).

So, looked at where the hospital was and looked at where the nearest actual geographical job centre was on Google and posted it there.  As wanted to avoid the mail handling site for all the reasons identified !

Argument if they had said wasn’t valid address being ’ you signed for it therefore it exists therefore it is a valid address’.  It was a desperate measure but in this case worked !

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

This nsESA page on gov.uk was updated on Friday to link through to ‘how to claim ns ESA’.

Looking at the info on that link I thinks this bit is new -

There are different ways to apply depending on if you get Universal Credit.

If you’re already getting Universal Credit, speak to your work coach or case manager about applying. You can do this by signing in to your Universal Credit account. You will not have another Work Capability Assessment.

If you have made an appointment with your work coach, you do not need to go to it at the moment because of coronavirus (COVID-19). The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will contact you to let you know what you need to do instead.

If you’re not already getting Universal Credit, you’ll need to phone the Universal Credit helpline to arrange a new claim.

Universal Credit helpline
Telephone: 0800 328 5644 (choose option 2)
Textphone: 0800 328 1344 (choose option 2)
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 328 5644 Video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users - check you can use the service
Welsh language telephone: 0800 328 1744
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

Your ESA interview
You’ll get a text, phone call or letter within 10 working days to arrange your telephone interview after you’ve applied.

During your telephone interview, you’ll be asked a few questions to prove your identity.

You and your work coach will talk about how your illness or disability affects your ability to work and the support you need.

Make an agreement to look for work (‘Claimant Commitment’)
You’ll agree what you need to do to get ‘new style’ ESA, for example agree to report any change of circumstances to your work coach. This is called a ‘Claimant Commitment’.

So I think for those not on UC they’re taking a claim over the phone and then following up with a phone interview and claimant commitment similar to here - https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/15825/#75151

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Thanks Daphne - I take it that they have not yet said that you can’t put in a paper form?  when I went to the website now that information was there.  But that is really useful - I don’t know how the phones work but it is possible that Option 2 might not be as crowded and people might actually have a chance of getting through.

I am not sure in what circumstances it would make any difference for claimants already on UC to claim NS ESA at the minute - as it is taken off UC £1 for £1 wouldn’t they achieve the same result by just putting on their journal that they are ill/shielding and asking what medical evidence is needed?  Perhaps there is something I have overlooked

Va1der
forum member

Send message

Ruth Knox - 30 March 2020 03:06 PM

Thanks Daphne - I take it that they have not yet said that you can’t put in a paper form?  when I went to the website now that information was there.  But that is really useful - I don’t know how the phones work but it is possible that Option 2 might not be as crowded and people might actually have a chance of getting through.

I am not sure in what circumstances it would make any difference for claimants already on UC to claim NS ESA at the minute - as it is taken off UC £1 for £1 wouldn’t they achieve the same result by just putting on their journal that they are ill/shielding and asking what medical evidence is needed?  Perhaps there is something I have overlooked

I suppose the most obvious would be if someone has to new claim both UC (for rent etc) and is eligible for nsESA. ESA payment would come through 3 weeks before UC.

SallyA
forum member

Welfare Benefits, Citizens Advice Swindon

Send message

Total Posts: 18

potential to backdate NSESA?

[ Edited: 30 Mar 2020 at 03:19 pm by SallyA ]
BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Also, if their UC is currently reduced by capital, partner’s earnings, occupational pensions, etc, or it is possible that it will be in future. You get class 1 NI credits from ESA, class 3 from UC (I think this still applies if you claim both?).

forum member

Send message

Following on from Daphne’s post, we got this from our DWP region head about an hour ago.

‘There is guidance available to the public and providers that is being update as changes to services evolve at the moment.  Information can be found at https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/coronavirus/ I would recommend you review this regularly.

In essence the same answer applies to all your ID questions.  The face to face Jobcentre interview has been replaced by a telephone interview for all of these benefits.  As part of this call we will verify the ID requirements by the phone.

In specific answer to your question regarding UC general contact, the primary method of contact for UC is through the journal and online rather than by phone.

For a New style ESA claim the customer can initiate these through either their Universal Credit account or by phone. General advice on making claims is at https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/how-to-claim. this covers both these process’.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

At present I am tending towards a paper claim rather than a telephone for anyone who is on tax credits now and doesn’t want to move to UC.  It may be that the Option 2 after you phone the Help Line is less blocked up than the others, but I am not sure. Also we can help clients complete and we have a “paper trail”. Paper claim to be posted to the local Jobcentre or to the Freepost addresses Daphne provided.  Are there arguments against this? For instance, will it take longer to process?

Va1der
forum member

Send message

Ruth Knox - 30 March 2020 10:04 PM

At present I am tending towards a paper claim rather than a telephone for anyone who is on tax credits now and doesn’t want to move to UC.  It may be that the Option 2 after you phone the Help Line is less blocked up than the others, but I am not sure. Also we can help clients complete and we have a “paper trail”. Paper claim to be posted to the local Jobcentre or to the Freepost addresses Daphne provided.  Are there arguments against this? For instance, will it take longer to process?

Might take a lot longer, and might not be processed at all. Post gets lost at the best of times.

If the clients are willing, I don’t see any reason not to have them claim by phone in addition to the paper claim - someone would have to be on hold to DWP at some stage regardless to confirm receipt of the form.

SG LB C
forum member

Income Maximisation Team LB Camden

Send message

Total Posts: 46

I was considering using the form that can be completed online then downloaded, and then using our electronic mailing system to post it to the client to sign.  I’m pretty sure that they should be sent to their local jobcentre.

However looking at the link, they have taken the forms off their “How to Claim” page and are advising people to call the UC helpline to claim NSESA? Have I got that correct?

This is the UC helpline that a friend waited over 5 hours on hold to be connected.

Now more than ever a dedicated phoneline and implicit consent would be invaluable. Again it seems that those with high needs are not considered properly in this.

forum member

Send message

SG LB C - 31 March 2020 09:30 AM

I was considering using the form that can be completed online then downloaded, and then using our electronic mailing system to post it to the client to sign.  I’m pretty sure that they should be sent to their local jobcentre.

However looking at the link, they have taken the forms off their “How to Claim” page and are advising people to call the UC helpline to claim NSESA? Have I got that correct?

This is the UC helpline that a friend waited over 5 hours on hold to be connected.

Now more than ever a dedicated phoneline and implicit consent would be invaluable. Again it seems that those with high needs are not considered properly in this.

‘However looking at the link, they have taken the forms off their “How to Claim” page and are advising people to call the UC helpline to claim NSESA? Have I got that correct’?

Yes you have!

The messy link below updated Friday night is emphatic about not completing forms unless asked to do so by the DWP.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiT3s3lw8ToAhXaUBUIHTBODrgQFjAAegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gov.uk%2Fgovernment%2Fpublications%2Fnew-style-employment-and-support-allowance-esa-claim-form&usg=AOvVaw3iRDjDWQcXSmteJv8Jquac

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Just had email from DWP -

At this moment in time, all New Style ESA claims are being taken over the phone, so there is no requirement to post in a claim form. 

As a result of taking claims over the phone, the lines are extremely busy and we are working on ways to resolve this.

We are looking to make improvements to those GOV.UK pages over the coming weeks.

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

New Touchbase Coronavirus Special confirms that people should apply for new style ESA by phone where they are not already claiming universal credit, and says that -

When a New Style Employment and Support Allowance claim is taken over the phone we will verify a person’s identity at the same time. Claimants do not need to complete a form.

We are aware the phones lines are exceptionally busy and are working to improve the situation as quickly as possible. Claimants will be able to back date their claim and they should keep trying to get through on the phone.

People who have applied for Universal Credit or are already getting Universal Credit should contact their work coach or case manager about applying for New Style Employment and Support Allowance by signing in to their Universal Credit account.

Inverclyde HSCP Advice Services
forum member

Inverclyde Council

Send message

Total Posts: 142

Just to make the site aware I had a client who had tried for days to phone and claim NSESA - down loaded the paper application online and sent to the relevant freepost address on 2.4.2020, he got a telephone call from ESA yesterday and will receive payment next week.