Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Extra £1000 on personal element of UC - is this a flat rate?

Dani Ahrens
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 16

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I wanted to check if anyone knows whether we should just add £1000/12 to all four rates of personal element (single/couple/u25/25+) when doing calculations for UC?

Thanks

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

I think so? Or if the exact figure is £20pw, then it’s £86.66 pcm.

(For anyone using QBC, this adjustment can be done through the Details menu, using the miscellaneous adjustments option at the bottom)

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 1995

It’s £1,045 for WTC and £1,040 for UC.  UC are adding £86.67 each month.  There is uncertainty about whether the CTC threshold is changing, which it should for consistency.  LITRG are chasing that (I think).

[ Edited: 26 Mar 2020 at 03:24 pm by Gareth Morgan ]
Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Gareth Morgan - 26 March 2020 03:06 PM

It’s £1,045 for WTC and £1,040 for UC.  UC are adding £86.67 each month.  There is uncertainty about whether the CTC threshold is changing, which it should for consistency.  LITRG are chasing that (I think).

Thanks, Gareth. I looked all over for that information - where did you find it?

CA Adviser
forum member

Citizens Advice Calderdale, West Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 168

So anyone claiming NS JSA should claim UC as well, even if they have no housing costs and are only entitled to have the UC standard allowance included in their calculation for UC?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

Yes I think that’s right - claim a UC top-up

We now have all the rates for UC - reg 3 of SI.No.371/2020 -

single under 25 - £342.72
single 25+ - £409.89
couple under 25 - £488.59
Couple 25+ - £594.04

ar-chik1
forum member

Salford Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 11

Hi all, apologies if this has already been asked & covered, but there’s some confusion with regards to WTC. Claimants, in a couple for e.g. in receipt of small amount of WTC, one of the couple is self-employed and has been laid off from work completely due to Covid-19 crisis, and has been advised that he’ll receive 80% of usual earnings but not until June. They’ve tried contacting TCO to inform them of the change in circs but are prevented from reporting this because the standard amount of WTC is increasing nationally due to the covid-19 crisis. But what about if the overall yearly income is now estimated to be reduced by the £2500 threshold for reporting COC’s to TC? I.e. wouldn’t they be entitled to more TC going forward, even if it is only applicable to between now & June?

LITRG
forum member

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 107

Gareth Morgan - 26 March 2020 03:06 PM

At present, looks like CTC threshold will remain as is (and therefore depart from the formula that has been used since 2003 to set it) but awaiting official confirmation.

Victoria

LITRG
forum member

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 107

ar-chik1 - 30 March 2020 12:03 PM

Hi all, apologies if this has already been asked & covered, but there’s some confusion with regards to WTC. Claimants, in a couple for e.g. in receipt of small amount of WTC, one of the couple is self-employed and has been laid off from work completely due to Covid-19 crisis, and has been advised that he’ll receive 80% of usual earnings but not until June. They’ve tried contacting TCO to inform them of the change in circs but are prevented from reporting this because the standard amount of WTC is increasing nationally due to the covid-19 crisis. But what about if the overall yearly income is now estimated to be reduced by the £2500 threshold for reporting COC’s to TC? I.e. wouldn’t they be entitled to more TC going forward, even if it is only applicable to between now & June?

When you say they are prevented from reporting….did they speak to someone?

At present, HMRC are allowing people to continue in qualifying remunerative work for tax credits based on their hours before CV19 (their normal hours). They should still be able to provide updated estimated income figures but if that is for 2020/21 then you can’t do it until after 6 April.

Any changes to tax credits are spread over the year - not just a 3 month period.

Victoria