Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Child Benefit appeals team

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 463

Oooh a Child Benefit appeal.

I’ve never seen one of those before; the pleasures of working out in the wild once more! I have seen numerous offerings from the UT criticizing HMRC’s lack of information provision and this is no different… there are no correspondence addresses in the appeal submission; even where I’d expect one it’s obscured.!

Does anyone know the address of the CB appeals team?

ta

Rebecca O
forum member

Core advice service - Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Total Posts: 6

Is this what you’re looking for?

HMCTS Appeals Centre
PO Box 1203
Bradford
BD1 9WP

Found here
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/child-benefit/child-benefit-appeals/appealing-a-child-benefit-decision-at-tribunal/

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

That’s the address for HM Courts & Tribunals Service Appeals Centre, to which SSCS1 forms are sent.

Sorry, but I can’t help with the address for HM Revenue & Customs appeals centre, although I am also representing a client with a child benefit appeal.  Hopefully, there will be an address in the Secretary of State’s submission, when we eventually receive that.

Rebecca O
forum member

Send message

Interesting. I seem to have missed only the letters ‘SSCS’ here on the SSCS5 under ‘what to do now’.

Is this no longer the form to use for ChB appeals?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/appeal-a-tax-credit-child-benefit-or-guardians-allowance-decision-form-sscs5

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

SSCS5 forms are for HMRC-paid benefits, and SSCS1 forms for DWP-paid benefits.  They all go to the same address in Bradford.  (Scottish appeals have a different address.)

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3122

What you have provided is the address where appeals need to be sent so that HMCTS process them - I’m very sure Dan will know that already.

When the appeal is started, HMRC are instructed to respond to the appeal. They have a team who deal with doing that (and would also be the people who can revise the decision, deal with directions and instruct POs etc). Dan is trying to locate that team.

As Ruth points out, the appeal response ought to give their correspondence address.

I haven’t done a ChB appeal in yonks, but if I was to guess, I would just send it to the Child Benefit Office in Washington?

Rebecca O
forum member

Send message

That’s a helpful explanation, thank you Elliott.