to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Council tax within rent

splurge
forum member

Welfare officer - Peabody, London

Send message

Total Posts: 101

I wonder if anyone can help me with this issue.

My client is in a HMO and Council tax is apportioned within the rent.

Since their isn’t a bill as such, it will be hard to get Council Tax support/reduction for it. I recall once that HB can make payment towards it if it forms part of the rent, but I wonder if that regulation has been repealed?

Any advice for a way forward would be greatly received

best wishes

danny

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

Both HB and UC will pay either the full inclusive rent (irrespective of whether any specific items are identified within it, and irrespective of what those items are) or the LHA rate: whichever is less.

HMO rents normally cover Council Tax, water rates and fuel but HB/UC don’t care about that.

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

splurge - 12 March 2020 08:31 AM

My client is in a HMO and Council tax is apportioned within the rent.

Since their isn’t a bill as such, it will be hard to get Council Tax support/reduction for it. I recall once that HB can make payment towards it if it forms part of the rent, but I wonder if that regulation has been repealed?

As HBAnorak confirms for you, you are correct that HB will cover the rent up to the LHA regardless of what the landlord throws into it.

I’d just add a point about CT liability. If this is an HMO (per the Liability for Owners Regs) then your client can’t have any council tax liability and so there cannot be any exemption (e.g. SMI), discount (e.g. single person) or reduction. I would say it’s not strictly correct to say the council tax is apportioned within the rent, - the rent is the rent and the landlord will (presumably) have set it at a level which allows them to pay their council tax liability and their mortgage and their insurance. But to say the CT is apportioned within the rent is analogous to saying the business rates are apportioned within the bill when you go shopping - there just isn’t that connection.

splurge
forum member

Welfare officer - Peabody, London

Send message

Total Posts: 101

Hello to you both

Thank you so much for your help on this issue, it had me absolutely stranded! You have really helped

best wishes

Splurge