× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Calculator subscription renewal

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

It’s that time of the year and we are exploring Calculators out there for both experienced and inexperienced unpaid advisers.

We would be really interested in other welfs experiences and thoughts on calculators out there etc etc?

[ Edited: 10 Mar 2020 at 12:32 pm by shawn mach ]
forum member

Send message

Shawn the asterisks were not meant as an expletive (the absolute last thing on my mind!), it was meant as erstwhile anonymising the calculator we currently use!

But i can see now how they would have been seen as an expletive!

Apologies for my embarrassingly poor communication skills!

Cringes in a corner of West Dorset!

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

Ha .. no worries .. and certainly no need for apologies (in fact we prefer asteriks to expletives) .....

... it was more a concern that your asterisk key had got stuck or that you were taking a siesta while resting your head on your keyboard .....

Cheers .. Shawn

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Hi Andy, in case you haven’t seen it, the HTC people have contacted local offices to say that some subsidy from the HTC grant can be claimed towards the cost of benefit calculators.

We recently compared QBC to a trial of the paid version of entitledto, and decided to stick with QBC, at least for the experienced advisers.

forum member

Send message

shawn mach - 10 March 2020 01:53 PM

Ha .. no worries .. and certainly no need for apologies (in fact we prefer asteriks to expletives) .....

... it was more a concern that your asterisk key had got stuck or that you were taking a siesta while resting your head on your keyboard .....

Cheers .. Shawn

Phew!

I can now walk the bridleways of West Dorset after Siesta’s with an untroubled mind!

forum member

Send message

Jon (CHDCA) - 10 March 2020 01:55 PM

Hi Andy, in case you haven’t seen it, the HTC people have contacted local offices to say that some subsidy from the HTC grant can be claimed towards the cost of benefit calculators.

We recently compared QBC to a trial of the paid version of entitledto, and decided to stick with QBC, at least for the experienced advisers.

Hi Jon

No i didn’t thanks for that! Saw the bit on training subsidy for HTC workers though.

Thanks for for the feedback re QBC (asterisked version) and entitledto.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

I’ve used QBC since I was a trainee. Always preferred it to the step-by-step approach in many of the other (paid and free) calculators.
Convenient when you already know which info is relevant and what you can ignore, but also good for learning since (I find) it’s easier to tweak parameters and see the impacts immediately.

That said, I know a lot of people find it a bit daunting, including more experienced advisers.

forum member

Send message

Va1der - 10 March 2020 04:34 PM

I’ve used QBC since I was a trainee. Always preferred it to the step-by-step approach in many of the other (paid and free) calculators.
Convenient when you already know which info is relevant and what you can ignore, but also good for learning since (I find) it’s easier to tweak parameters and see the impacts immediately.

That said, I know a lot of people find it a bit daunting, including more experienced advisers.

Thanks for the above!