Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Non Dep Deductions

gw
forum member

Glasgow West Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 285

My client has a non dep who is a full time student and in receipt of PIP,
my understanding by reading is that there should not be a non dep charge.

There is no deduction made for a non-dependant if they are under 21, responsible for a child or in prison. Nor is a deduction made if they get one of the following benefits:
carer’s allowance;
pension credit;
DLA care component at the middle or highest rate;
PIP daily living component; or
attendance allowance, constant attendance allowance or exceptionally severe disablement allowance

am I reading this wrong ?

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

No, you seem to have it right.

KMJones
forum member

Early Warning System, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 48

I’m in agreement.

Before I went on maternity leave I spoke to the DWP about problems with the housing costs contribution.  It appeared that a housing costs contribution was being applied in the automated system and the exemption had to be manually implemented every assessment period.

Can you submit details of this case (and any similar ones) to me on the Early Warning System? That way I can revert to DWP with evidence that this is still a problem/ chase for progress.

https://cpag.org.uk/policy-campaigns/early-warning-system

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

KMJones - 06 March 2020 10:24 AM

I’m in agreement.

Before I went on maternity leave I spoke to the DWP about problems with the housing costs contribution.  It appeared that a housing costs contribution was being applied in the automated system and the exemption had to be manually implemented every assessment period.

I have heard that too. Non-dependants deductions in this situation along with various other ‘non-standard’ circumstances appear to require manual intervention on a monthly basis. Case managers have a list of claims for which they need to do this.

I would have thought this was something that could be fairly easily remedied by amending the software which would make life better for claimants and reduce workload for case managers.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Ianb - 06 March 2020 01:03 PM

I would have thought this was something that could be fairly easily remedied by amending the software which would make life better for claimants and reduce workload for case managers.

Defining feature of the UC system is programming seemingly done with crayons. There’s an endless list of simple fixes for the software that supposedly underpins UC.

Quotes from Computer Engineer graduates who say they are keen and excited to work on the UC project are about as believable as Neil Couling’s tweets, or the ‘customer feedback’ section of the wall in the local Atos assessment centre. I don’t imagine many of them have any hair left after a month or two.

Not their fault though, the policies that underpin the system are just not compatible with reality…