Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

LHA increase

AEastwood
forum member

The Bond Board, Rochdale

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Hi

I’m not a Welfare Rights Worker, so please excuse what is likely to be a fairly simple question! Please can someone point me in the direction of the details about when existing private renting tenants on either UC or Housing Ben would see an increase in LHA from April (if eligible) and whether they need to do anything to receive this?

Thanks.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2902

It should happen automatically in HB: the new rates will be loaded into LA systems and affect HB from either Monday 6 April or Wednesday 1 April depending respectively whether rent is paid in multiples of weeks or some other cycle.

I would hope that UC will also load the figures automatically but you never know with them.  The effective date in a UC case is less clear.  My first thought was that it would be the first day of the AP which coincides with or immediately follows the 1st April, which is when the new LHA rates have effect, because this is a “change in the legislation” for the purpose of Schedule 1 to the Decisions and Appeals Regs.  But the amendment of the Regs came into force on 30 January.  I am actually struggling to find where in the UC legislation there is provision for LHA rates to be adjusted from April - it’s probably me overlooking it, but I’ll have to research that a bit more and then update the thread - unless someone has it at their fingertips?

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

You need the Rent Officers Order 2013 Art 4(3) & (4). It takes effect from the first AP beginning on or after the first Monday of the tax year (6th April this year).

In my experience from previous years, this has happened automatically in UC too.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2902

Yes, found it now - Article 4 of the RO (UC Functions) Order.

AEastwood
forum member

The Bond Board, Rochdale

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Thank you both. Much appreciated.