to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Housing Benefit and UC Work Allowance

GLon
forum member

Welfare rights unit - Norfolk County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 14

I have tried but to no avail found out what happens when someone has a limited capability for work, gets UC but wants to work and receive the work allowance. However they are getting HB as they live in supported accommodation, so would have a work allowance up to £503 pcm. Does the earned income get taken into consideration by HB and so reduce or stop an award?
Any information would be helpful.
Thank you.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

UC is an automatic passport to your maximum housing benefit - see CPAG pg 189

GLon
forum member

Welfare rights unit - Norfolk County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 14

Thank you
I should have thought of that but just wanted confirmation.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

Not relevant in your case, but in case it affects another case, it’s worth pointing out that you only get the higher work allowance if the HB claim is for supported accommodation. If it’s for temporary accommodation, they will only get the lower work allowance in UC. I have no idea why it is different.

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

Charles - 26 February 2020 01:50 PM

Not relevant in your case, but in case it affects another case, it’s worth pointing out that you only get the higher work allowance if the HB claim is for supported accommodation. If it’s for temporary accommodation, they will only get the lower work allowance in UC. I have no idea why it is different.

It seems deliberate as Reg 5A of the UC(TP) Regs was introduced when temporary accommodation housing costs were taken out of UC, and it just makes sure that people who are getting HB for their TA are treated the same way in UC as people in standard housing (for work allowance purposes). So the puzzle is why did they not also do this for supported accommodation? The only answer I can think of is that supported accommodation implies additional vulnerability; so let’s let these claimants keep a bit more of their earnings. But this would be generous and compassionate; which makes me think it must have been just an oversight. Of course, another consideration might be to do with the relative rates of employment among people in supported vs temporary accommodation?