Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

esa change of circs.

NIGELB
forum member

Rotherham and District Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 56

Good morning
I have a client who is in the support group for ESA, they are also in receipt of enhanced rate of daily living and standard rate for mobility with mental health issues.
They have had to move from one area to another due to abuse. They are currently staying at a refuge for 28 days but obviously there are rent costs etc.
The client is worried they may have to claim UC. They don’t seem to have had SDP but have filled out the form to apply 2 weeks ago and DWP looking into this and feel client ought to be entitled. Client lived with their parent till now who is alleged to be the abuser.

General rule of thumb is if there is an or should have been an entitlement to SDP then need to do claim Housing benefit.
Do you think the client should wait for the outcome of the DWP’s decision before acting further even though this is going to leave them short having to pay rent until their is a decision. I guess the claim could be backdated as we are awaiting a DWP decision
any thoughts as my client is very distressed

thank you in anticipation of any help you may give

best wishes

Nigel

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Unless it somehow disqualifies, a refuge would normally be considered temporary accommodation and your client would only be allowed to claim HB, regardless of SDP entitlement.

NIGELB
forum member

Rotherham and District Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 56

Thank you for your help.
sorry I didn’t reply sooner.
great help
best wishes

Nigel