to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

DFG for new build

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

Does anyone know if the council can refuse to provide a DFG for a new build? Rather than buy an existing property and then have to adapt it to suit the disabled persons needs, they have made the decision to build a new house with the facilities included. However, the council have stated they can’t provide a DFG for a new build? Can anyone point me in the direction of the legislation for this?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Don’t know the legislation but we certainly state in our Disability equipment and home adaptations factsheet:

You will not normally get a DFG if you start work on your property before the local authority approves your application.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

My colleague, Clive Martin, who is the fount of all DFG knowledge, writes:

“The Act provides for “the cost of works required for … the provision of facilities for disabled persons … in dwellings”.  Although commonly referred to as “adaptations” which may well imply works to existing dwellings, there is no such legislative restriction.

I have advised many housing authorities on this point.  They have seemed comfortable to pay DFG towards the elements of the new build that are going to be there specifically for the use of the disabled person (e.g. adapted bathroom, through-floor lift).  The payment of DFG in these, as in all cases, is dependent upon some form of Occupational Therapist recommendation.  The costing of the DFG elements in such cases is complex and often the result of negotiation, but payment of DFG towards new builds is done regularly and is legal.”

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

Thank you gentlemen. Most helpful and it will come as a relief for the family.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Gareth Morgan - 11 February 2020 12:43 PM

My colleague, Clive Martin, who is the fount of all DFG knowledge, writes:

“The Act provides for “the cost of works required for … the provision of facilities for disabled persons … in dwellings”.  Although commonly referred to as “adaptations” which may well imply works to existing dwellings, there is no such legislative restriction.

I have advised many housing authorities on this point.  They have seemed comfortable to pay DFG towards the elements of the new build that are going to be there specifically for the use of the disabled person (e.g. adapted bathroom, through-floor lift).  The payment of DFG in these, as in all cases, is dependent upon some form of Occupational Therapist recommendation.  The costing of the DFG elements in such cases is complex and often the result of negotiation, but payment of DFG towards new builds is done regularly and is legal.”

Clive Martin is still alive!

“Salutes”.