Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

What is going on at DWP debt management?

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

We’ve not been able to reach anyone for around 6 weeks now; you get connected after going through the options, then get cut off – just an engaged dial tone.

Gov.uk is still showing the same number: 0800 916 0647

We have been writing to them instead but so far no response to any letters.

Anybody having any better experiences or have any suggestions?

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 332

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

I escalated this issue to our Partnership Manager on 4 Oct but no response yet….

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

I’ve been sent this message after making a complaint:

‘[O]ver the last several months our Debt Management team has experienced an unprecedented volume of calls and we acknowledge the difficulties some customers are currently experiencing in getting in touch with us. We have secured additional resource and plans are in place to increase available capacity to correct this concern’

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Caseworker - CHAC, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 260

Andrew Dutton - 24 January 2020 02:48 PM

I’ve been sent this message after making a complaint:

‘[O]ver the last several months our Debt Management team has experienced an unprecedented volume of calls and we acknowledge the difficulties some customers are currently experiencing in getting in touch with us. We have secured additional resource and plans are in place to increase available capacity to correct this concern’

So I wonder if the extra “revenue” raised by recovering over-payments due to official error has now been lost to the extra costs of employing people to deal with the extra phone calls that’s no doubt causing?

Gemap
forum member

Advice team - GEMAP Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 20

In my experience it takes about 10-15 minutes of repeatedly ringing the number 0800 916 0647 before you get through the recorded messages without being cut off. Once the call allows you into the queue with the music there is then a wait time of about 30 minutes plus and occasionally I will get cut off during this wait time as well. I have written to Debt Management about this but never got a response. If possible, I try to start the call about 30 minutes before the client comes in to reduce the amount of time I am redialing and waiting whilst they are there with me.

Patrick