to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

Settled status Vs PRTR. 

davidsmithp1000
forum member

Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 195

I’ve had a few chats recently, with EEA nationals, with permanent RTR. Long term resident and very much settled. All of whom are under the impression they do not need to apply for settled status.

Is this correct? I know permanent RTR is analogous with settled status, but is this going to cause them problems down the line?

Yours, not hoping for another windrush ...

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3126

Permanent residence is not analogous with settled status. Permanent residence is an EU law status and is unlikely to be honoured beyond the Brexit transitional period.

If the individual wants to live in the UK beyond this point without being excluded from benefits, housing, healthcare etc. and without being at risk of deportation, they need to apply for either settled status - which is UK law indefinite leave to remain and will be effective post-Brexit - or for British citizenship.

And yes, “Windrush on steroids” is a term which is being seriously used.
https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2019/09/02/avoiding-a-brexit-windrush-on-steroids/

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

davidsmithp1000 - 19 January 2020 05:30 PM

I’ve had a few chats recently, with EEA nationals, with permanent RTR. Long term resident and very much settled. All of whom are under the impression they do not need to apply for settled status.

Is this correct? I know permanent RTR is analogous with settled status, but is this going to cause them problems down the line?

Yours, not hoping for another windrush ...

Hi Dave. These are the communication toolkits.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eu-settlement-scheme-community-leaders-toolkit

davidsmithp1000
forum member

Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 195

Thanks, I was clearly getting permanent RTR mixed up with indefinite leave to remain - there are EU nationals with indefinite leave to remain, before their country joined the EU for example. Who do not need to apply for settled status ...