to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Pension Service and implicit consent

Tameside MBC Welfare Rights
forum member

Mental Health WR & Debt Advice Service, Tameside MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 43

I called the New Claims teams today on 0800 99 1234 and provided the client’s NINO and Dob etc to simply ask them to issue her (not me) with a Pension Credit decision letter. My client’s claim for PC was refused in a phone call back in October but she never received a decision letter. I was told that my request cannot be actioned as client isn’t with me and she will have to go through security. When I challenged this and mentioned implicit consent I was put through to a manager who said the same thing and that implicit consent doesn’t apply to a ‘claim that’s already been dealt with’. I was also refused any information regarding the date of decision on the same basis. Colleagues then mentioned that this has happened to them and we have had to get sick and recently bereaved clients to come into the office to be able to communicate with the Pension Service.

Are others having any difficulty with speaking to the Pension Service using implicit consent? I did ask what would happen if my client was unable to communicate by phone only to be told that if that’s the case they would need an appointee. I didn’t even want any info from them initially, just a decision letter in response to a claim for benefit!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Was this just the level 1 telephone service you spoke to or did they put you through to speak to Pension Service? The first tier service is outsourced to G4S and we regularly hear about this sort of gatekeeping, although it’s usually in relation to denying people the right to make a claim in the first place.

Brian Fletcher
forum member

Welfare Rights, Wigan & Leigh Carers Centre, Wigan

Send message

Total Posts: 101

As I always say to the staff here. When ringing the DWP on behalf of a client, open up the following web page first.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/working-with-representatives-guidance-for-dwp-staff/working-with-representatives-guidance-for-dwp-staff

Quote them directly from the guidance; if they are non-compliant, tell them to go and find an adult - last bit is just being facetious - read supervisor for adult

Tameside MBC Welfare Rights
forum member

Mental Health WR & Debt Advice Service, Tameside MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 43

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 17 December 2019 09:15 AM

Was this just the level 1 telephone service you spoke to or did they put you through to speak to Pension Service? The first tier service is outsourced to G4S and we regularly hear about this sort of gatekeeping, although it’s usually in relation to denying people the right to make a claim in the first place.

I think it was the Tier 1 service as I didn’t get put through anywhere. I wasn’t aware that G4S were involved, though that probably explains it. I’m now waiting patiently for the wheels of the DWP complaints process to start turning.

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 627

Personally, over the last 15 years or so, I have found the Pension Service telephony team to be the most obstructive, downright rude and difficult to deal with part of the entire DWP empire. (Experience also shared by my Mother, who’s battles with the Kafka-esque PS are a family legend).

It appears nothing has changed.

gw
forum member

Glasgow West Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 285

I have contacted our local pension service to bring this to their attention
It was raised at our Welfare Rights forum meeting yesterday.

gw
forum member

Glasgow West Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 285

received reply from local Pension Service, they no longer have Pension Centre Liaison Officer (PCLO)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

deal with all complaints, concerns etc,