to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Desperation

bigbill
forum member

Dumfries Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 127

Not the first time I have seen this happen.

Single parents seen yesterday under 25 on Income Support, so desperate for money for Xmas presents for the child that they wanted to change to UC to get the maximum loan quickly?

Despite explaining they have to pay this loan back and they would be losing about £17 weekly by changing to UC I asked them to think carefully about it over the weekend before going ahead.

They already had a budgeting loans so not an option either.

But no problems the Tories always said NO ONE would be any worse off on UC?

The only hope for many people struggling with UC was a change in Government but clearly this option has now gone.

Anyone suggest any other option for her?

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Numerous grants and charitable aid specifically available around Christmas, including for presents for wee ones etc. I don’t have a list for what’s available in Dumfries unfortunately. Turn2us lists grants, and other local advice organisations, charities or the council will share their lists of charitable aid.

Depending on circumstances she could try for a SWF crisis grant. Also check whether she has had her Best start grants etc. School age payment was only rolled out this June, and she’d still be in the 6 month timeframe for applying.

I’d suggest budgeting/money management advice before I looked at borrowing.

hkrishna
forum member

Welfare rights worker - CPAG in Scotland, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 257

Doesn’t solve the immediate problem but we are attempting to challenge the issue of lower standard allowance for under 25 lone parents: https://cpag.org.uk/welfare-rights/legal-test-cases/current-test-cases/universal-credit-and-lone-parents-under-25

bigbill
forum member

Dumfries Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 127

Va1der

Many thanks many of these were mentioned, they asked SWF for £60 and got £100 easy money in Scotland.

hkrishna

Again many thanks and good to know that CPAG are willing and able to challenge the Tories, keep up the good work.