Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP1 email address for deaf claimants?

Charlotte R
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 25

Hi,
We used to have an email address we could use to get a PIP claim started for deaf claimants, however this seems to recently have been withdrawn.  (Last successfully used in July 2019.
I asked about it last week at a local DWP liaison meeting and they claimed to know nothing about it, this being the response:
1.    I can find no trace of the email address you give but can point you to advice on gov.uk https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim where various options are available, I hope one of them will be suitable for your customers.

Any ideas on how deaf claimants who are unable to use the phone are supposed to get a PIP claim started, (given that most do not have access to Textphone/minicom)?

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Caseworker - CHAC, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 260

Charlotte R - 03 December 2019 12:18 PM

Any ideas on how deaf claimants who are unable to use the phone are supposed to get a PIP claim started, (given that most do not have access to Textphone/minicom)?

It may well end up being slower than email but they can just write a letter requesting a PIP1 claim form?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

I enquired with the DWP via stakeholders and this was the response -

Having made some enquiries, I can confirm that the email address is still in use and work is underway to raise the awareness and further upskill staff on alternative formats for PIP delivery.

Whilst the email route remains an option, it is intended for use by customers:

- Who are unable and/or find it very difficult to use the phone themselves for any length of time and have no-one to represent them.
- With speech, hearing or communicating difficulties who cannot or do not wish to use a textphone or have no-one to represent them.

You’ll be aware that it will also take longer to claim using this method as separate postal forms will need to be completed.

We would ask that, where possible, customers complete claims as outlined at https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim using, e.g. Next Generation Text where appropriate.