to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Benefit Unit for Long Term Hospital Stay

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 450

Client has been in hospital for 2 years. Husband works full time but only gives her £20 per week. Can she establish a claim in her own right (e.g for UC) as a single claimant due to the length of her absence?

I was looking at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/810640/adme2.pdf

and the provisions for temporary absence, however the examples given have the clients claiming benefit before admission which isn’t the same as this situation.

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Reg 3(6) ?

(6) Where the claimant is a member of a couple, and the other member is temporarily
absent from the claimant’s household, they cease to be treated as a couple if that
absence is expected to exceed, or does exceed, 6 months.

I would read that as meaning she clearly can claim UC in her own right.  I don’t think entitlement to UC prior to the absence is necessary as it is absence from the household that is considered

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 450

Yes, that’s the one I was hoping would apply and, given that the relevant provision is about benefit units, I hoped it was a standalone issue from actual benefit entitlement. Many thanks