to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

I am the resurrection.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

So, sight impairment PIP appeal adjourned basically cos the tribunal did their usual freak out over a lack of “medical evidence” (despite tonnes of anecdotal evidence); missing appeal papers and a conspicuous failure of DWP to produce their sub in a 48 point for the appellant. You really need medical evidence when the tribunal acknowledge that the appellant can’t distinguish who’s talking out of the two female members of the panel!!!!!! That aside…

Mysteriously the claimant then gets an offer of PIP DL and M @ standard rates for 5 years. 10 points on both. I cannot imagine why :)

Without consulting me this has been accepted. Looking at the award there’s nothing for social engagement at all (claimant can’t do facial recognition without audio cues etc.) and the 10 for mobility should routinely be 12 as most people with sight impairment should get 12 as there’s no difference between the issues on a familiar or unfamiliar route.

Client has agreed to resurrect the appeal and it then occurred to me that I’ve not had to do this before. So, what’s the process?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

The DWP has revised the decision in your client’s favour, that lapses the first appeal, notice of the revised decision is sent out and your client then lodges a second appeal on a 2nd SSCS1 against the decision as revised.

Just like in the olden days when the DWP would unilaterally lapse the appeal without asking your client first.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Cheers Elliot. Thought/hoped it was that simple. I’ve no doubt the offer was a way of avoiding 48 point. Will be interesting to see their next tactic.